PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Adding KDE to Ubuntu

sandman3838
June 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Hey everyone!

What do you all think about adding KDE to Ubuntu.
KDE desktop environment looks interesting.

I came across thins link:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

What do you all think, is KDE worth it?

Thanks

merlinus
June 12th, 2009, 12:55 AM
If you use psychocat's method, you can try it and easily get rid of it if you do not like it.

Same with xubuntu (xfce)...

aged hippy
June 12th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I've used Kubuntu for some time now, and to follow the instructions to install the Kubuntu desktop is a piece of cake. :D

It runs alongside Ubuntu flawlessly, a simple matter of selecting which environment you want for thee current session.

I recommend it.... highly. :D

ianmillington
June 12th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hi

I've been using kubuntu for just over 3 years now. Aged Hippy will know me as The Liquidator (damn! wish I could change my name on this forum to be consistent!). KDE rocks, and if you go to the current version (4.2.4) I would say it's now stable.

I'm going to do a reinstall tonight as I've got some tidying up to do -I have both kubuntu and ubuntu disks. Is there any benefit in using one or the other?

Thanks

aged hippy
June 12th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Hi Liquidator :D

There can be some minor problems with the KDE desktop, i experience a lot of freezes (when booted into Hardy/KDE 3.5) when using Firefox, but only after i install Flash and Java, etc.

I find that Ubuntu with the KDE desktop added doesn't have as many freezes as Kubuntu installed by itself, even with exactly the same Flash/Java installed.
It has only happened twice in over a week, with Hardy it was 4 - 5 times a day. :(

I haven't had that problem with 9.04 (KDE 4) either, with only a couple of crashes since i installed it.... and i'm about to download and install the Kubuntu Jaunty KDE 3 Remix Release Candidate, maybe i'll be able to comment on that in a day or so.... i do like variety. :mrgreen:

To gently approach the original Topic ;) I think that the Kubuntu desktop is better looking than the Ubuntu one, and it may be a bit easier to personalise it, so i say Go For It. :o

ianmillington
June 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks
Is your current setup kubuntu 9.04 or ubuntu 9.04 +kde?

aged hippy
June 12th, 2009, 06:29 PM
At the moment my default boot OS is Ubuntu 9.04 with KDE installed.

There is also Kubuntu Hardy 8.04, Kubuntu Jaunty 9.04 (and Win XP of course :)).

Sorry if i wandered around everywhere without answering a question. :D

xeticus
June 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I'm using Kubuntu 9.04 and KDE is sweet to use. It's gorgeous and easy to use. I prefer KDE or XFCE now. KDE looks better and XFCE looks clean and nice.

vayira
June 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I used to use opensuse with KDE & it was a very good desktop indeed.

Then they brought out KDE4 before it was really unusable & that is why I have now installed ubuntu with gnome (to learn about gnome too). However, I'm going to try KDE again as I miss a few features. KDE3 was much more configurable than gnome.

aged hippy
June 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I used to use opensuse with KDE & it was a very good desktop indeed.

Then they brought out KDE4 before it was really usable & that is why I have now installed ubuntu with gnome (to learn about gnome too). However, I'm going to try KDE again as I miss a few features. KDE3 was much more configurable than gnome.

If you install KDE (sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop) alongside Gnome on a Ubuntu 8.04 installation, it is the KDE 3.5 desktop , not KDE 4. :)

vayira
June 13th, 2009, 06:16 PM
If you install KDE (sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop) alongside Gnome on a Ubuntu 8.04 installation, it is the KDE 3.5 desktop , not KDE 4. :)
Good :p although I'm using jaunty 9.04 64bit in fact. I've just installed kubuntu-desktop, but haven't got time to try it out just yet.

valex
June 13th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I hate KDE like environments. It seems windows. :(

aged hippy
June 13th, 2009, 07:01 PM

I don't seem to be able to find the <Start> button.... :p

Polaris96
June 13th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I have always used KDE because Gnome seems clunky to me. I got into Linux through Debian, and, when I switched to ubuntu, it seemed natural to bring KDE along with me.

I like installing the base system and then installing kde via aptitude. With Jaunty, they're ve gone over to KDE4. I have two pcs, one with KDE4 and one with KDE3.5. I don't mind KDE4 but I think 3.5 is a better system, overall. Check out the Jaunty KDE3.5 remix at pearson computing's website.

I HAVE had problems trying to load KDE3.5 and KDE4 on the same platform, even though it is supposedly possible. I wouldn't recommend it, I had to nuke the entire platform and start from scratch to get a system that really worked.

Additionally, you might try replacing the KDE standard window manager with openbox (apt-get install openbox).

aged hippy
June 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I've down-loaded Pearson's remix, but haven't got any CDs.... :(

It's best to have KDE 3.5 and KDE 4.0 on separate installations, i know it's claimed to be alright on one but not in my experience....

I've got KDE 3.5 (Hardy, 8.04) on one installation, and KDE 4.0 (Jaunty, 9.04) on another, and Ubuntu 8.04 with KDE 3.5 installed on yet another, this is my default boot option.
I log-in to Gnome sometimes, but Kubuntu always seems more ... polished... to me. :)

I'll probably try openbox tonight.

ianmillington
June 13th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I have now done my reinstall - used the kubuntu 9.04 desktop version with a click on the "install" icon.

No matter how easy they try to make it, even in graphical form with pre-set partitions, the partitioning thing looks scary and needs a leap of faith! However, in my case my main issue was ensuring I did not tell it to format /home!

Working well, although the error messages about the card reader and the message on shutdown about ide devices are both still there so I suspect my efforts have actually been of no avail.

XubuRoxMySox
June 14th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Or if you want to lighten up your Ubuntu, try installing LXDE (http://lxde.org) instead of Gnome, KDE, or xfce. LXDE is super-lightweight, much less of a resource hog, and it's pretty and customizable. Ubuntu runs faster and lighter on LXDE. It's been one of the best-kept secret wonders of the Linux desktop world.

-Robin

vayira
June 14th, 2009, 02:45 AM

I suppose this is a troll (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll) either that or you don't have much experience of windows!

vayira
June 14th, 2009, 02:52 AM
I've just installed kubuntu-desktop from the repositories of jaunty 9.04 64bit & it turns out it is KDE4. Lots of eye kandy (which is not important to me), is v different from KDE3, but the configurability is still there it seems, main prob is that compiz doesn't work. The CCSM runs but changing the settings doesn't do anything.

sandman3838
June 14th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Back again!
WOW lots to choose from!
Kubuntu, LXDE, KDE, or xfce.....

I should have mentioned that I have Ubuntu 904.

The option to use the Session selection at sign-in for Ubuntu or whatever other OS I use is not a problem. Now these additions Kubuntu, LXDE, KDE, or XFCE are just installed into Ubuntu, its not like I'm doing a full install to a hd partition with another OS right?

I just don't want to damage what I have here in Ubuntu at the moment.

Speaking of partitions I do have Winxp installed. It is accessible through GRUB and Winxp and Ubuntu are each on there own 500gb hd.

I just thought you might like to know in case it matters.

Any more suggestions for which of these might be the least painful?

aged hippy
June 14th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I suppose this is a troll (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll) either that or you don't have much experience of windows!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/aged_hippy/dontfeedthetroll.jpg

aged hippy
June 14th, 2009, 06:26 AM
The option to use the Session selection at sign-in for Ubuntu or whatever other OS I use is not a problem. Now these additions Kubuntu, LXDE, KDE, or XFCE are just installed into Ubuntu, its not like I'm doing a full install to a hd partition with another OS right?

I just don't want to damage what I have here in Ubuntu at the moment.

No, you won't damage anything, they are installed into your existing partition/installation. :)

Thanks to dixiedancer i've just installed LXDE from the repositories.... better try it out, i suppose. :D

XubuRoxMySox
June 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks to dixiedancer i've just installed LXDE from the repositories.... better try it out, i suppose. :D

Some folks say it is reminiscent of Windows 98. Simple desktop, clickable icons. Applications are found in /usr/share/applications. You can drag the ones you want and drop them on the desktop, or you can add them to the task bar on the bottom.

Wallpapers are in usr/share/lxde/wallpapers. I still have my favorite wallpaper (the default is a blue, very Windowsish-looking thing... pretty but yuk, too Windowsy). Screenshot of my desktop attached.

Minimal Debian + LXDE = speedy, lightweight, super-fast, user-friendly Linux fit for really low-resource 'puters, and flies along at near transwarp speed on newer ones!

-Robin

ianmillington
June 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I've just installed kubuntu-desktop from the repositories of jaunty 9.04 64bit & it turns out it is KDE4. Lots of eye kandy (which is not important to me), is v different from KDE3, but the configurability is still there it seems, main prob is that compiz doesn't work. The CCSM runs but changing the settings doesn't do anything.

You can use compiz in kde4 but a great many of the options are already there in kwineffects.

Go to system settings/desktop and enable desktop effects and then select what you want.

Ian

sandman3838
June 14th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Hey dixiedancer

I just checked out LXDE!
Interesting!!!!!

If I go into sessions and sign in under LXDE how much of my UBUNTU setup transfer in. About the only things extra and goofy I have running now in Ubuntu is Carto Dock and three screenlets.

Do I just create the ISO file from the download and run the install from there or should I use Synaptic manager?

Thanks for the help!

XubuRoxMySox
June 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM
By all means, just use Synaptic to install the LXDE metapckage. On logout you can toggle between sessions: Gnome or LXDE. So you lose none of the way-kewl Ubuntu stuff. Using the LXDE instead of the Gnome makes Ubuntu faster and more "user friendly," and you can always simply choose between them whenever you log in.

I'm playing with Crunchbang Linux (http://crunchbanglinux.org) presently: It's minimal Ubuntu with no default desktop environment at all! It just uses the Openbox window manager (not a desktop environment). It's light and fast, but not "newbie friendly" because there's nothing to click on at all! Just super-key combinations (but right-clicking the desktop makes a menu appear). I added LXDE on top of it and they play nice together as long as I let PCmanFM (the LXDE file manager) manage the desktop.

But if you love the full-flavored Ubuntu, just add LXDE to it from the repos. You can use either desktop environment you wish.

-Robin

sandman3838
June 14th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the info dixiedancer

I'll give LXDE a shot here later today!

So I just open Synaptic and type in LXDE?
Is there anything else that you would recommend that i add to it?

Also will Cairo Dock work with LXDE?

Thanks again

aged hippy
June 14th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Thank You, dixiedancer,
I'm pretty pleased with LXDE... it is - as you said, Win 98ish (2000ish?), light, fast and simple to use. What an OS should be, in my opinion. :D

I've now not only got four OSs to boot into, when i boot into this one i get a choice of three environments, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or LXDE !:D

I'd better stop trying all these desktops.... i spend more time playing than i do working. :mrgreen:

XubuRoxMySox
June 14th, 2009, 08:46 PM
So I just open Synaptic and type in LXDE?
Is there anything else that you would recommend that i add to it?

Also will Cairo Dock work with LXDE?

Hi!

I dunno about Cairo Dock with LXDE, but I really doubt it. C.D. is strictly a Gnome thing, I think.

Open Synaptic, scroll down to LXDE metapackage, select it and mark it for installation. Then click Apply, wait for it to grab LXDE from the repos (it'll tell you when it's done). Then close Synaptic and log out.

When you log back in, under "Options" choose LXDE from "Sessions." Do NOT make it the Default Session until you've test-driven it,kicked the tires, and then decided on a default d.e. - and you don't ever have to choose a default.

-Robin

recommended reading: LXDE homepage (http://lxde.org) and forums

Also check out the "Lubuntu (https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop)" project on launchpad.net!

vayira
June 15th, 2009, 01:59 AM
You can use compiz in kde4 but a great many of the options are already there in kwineffects.
Go to system settings/desktop and enable desktop effects and then select what you want.
Ian
Thanks. I'll try that next time I boot in KDE.

vayira
June 18th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Ian
Thanks. I'll try that next time I boot in KDE.

As far as I can see so far all compiz effects are ignored in the CCSM & the settings/desktop effects are a bit limited. I'm getting used to gnome now (there is just one little thing I've can't configure) & I suspect I won't be going back to KDE.