PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Linux DVD Player

cph05a
June 11th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I'm looking for your linu DVD player of choice. I've used LinDVD in the past, but I no longer have a copy of it and I don't really want to pay for it. I've used VLC, but it only works on a few DVDs.

What is a good (preferably free) DVD player for linux?
(If anyone suggests VLC, tell me how to get it to work right)

coffeecat
June 11th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Are the DVDs that won't play in VLC, commercial encrypted ones? You may need to install libdvdcss2 which you can get from the medibuntu (http://www.medibuntu.org/) repository. Follow the 'Repository Howto' link in that link to enable the medibuntu repo, and then you'll be able to install libdvdcss2 from Synaptic.

cph05a
June 14th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I tried installing libdvdcss2 but it did not solve the problem. Any other ideas?

cph05a
June 18th, 2009, 05:33 AM
bump. I'd rather not buy linDVD, but I haven't had any luck with VLC or Totem. (Since last post, I've tried Ogle, but didn't like it)

Chronon
June 18th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I find that Dragon player plays most DVDs for me, but its picture quality (deinterlacing?) seems to not be as good as VLC. I have good success rate with VLC, though. There's always Mplayer, I guess.

~sHyLoCk~
June 18th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Mplayer works well for me without any issue.

surfed
June 18th, 2009, 07:58 AM
xine has always been one of my faves, great menu support and picture quality.

jasonsjunk
June 18th, 2009, 07:59 AM
VLC has worked for every commercial DVD i have ever played on it (even recent titles). You might try uninstalling VLC and reinstalling via synaptic to make sure you have all of the required files also make sure you have the medibuntu repository enabled. You need libdvdcss2 and libdvdread4. I believe the 2nd pkg is correct you can find it in synaptic by typing DVD in the search, its in there somewhere.

cph05a
June 21st, 2009, 01:15 AM
VLC has worked for every commercial DVD i have ever played on it (even recent titles). You might try uninstalling VLC and reinstalling via synaptic to make sure you have all of the required files also make sure you have the medibuntu repository enabled. You need libdvdcss2 and libdvdread4. I believe the 2nd pkg is correct you can find it in synaptic by typing DVD in the search, its in there somewhere.

This almost worked. It now opens the DVD, but the color is wrong (it looks like red is missing). Both Dragon and Mplayer failed to even open the DVD.

Marlonsm
June 21st, 2009, 03:12 AM
Totem with Xine backend, with the ubuntu-restricted-extras package works fine for me.

cph05a
June 22nd, 2009, 02:20 AM
Totem with Xine backend, with the ubuntu-restricted-extras package works fine for me.

This works like a charm :)

thanks for all the suggestions!

gabak
November 10th, 2009, 02:36 PM
get OGLE i heard it is great !!
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/

ilil
November 26th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Ogle is unsupported now, all its code is in xine now. IMHO, xine or totem-xine is the best with DVD.

gabak
November 26th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Ogle is unsupported now, all its code is in xine now. IMHO, xine or totem-xine is the best with DVD.

thxs
what is IMHO ??? i have have xine but there are some dvd that does nt work. or i have problem with subtitles , nothing works like powerdvd for windows

Shazaam
November 26th, 2009, 05:14 PM
In My Honest/Humble/Holy/Hesitating/Highest Opinion

http://www.acronymfinder.com/IMHO.html

ilil
November 26th, 2009, 05:45 PM
What DVD title do you speak about? I have no trouble wih all DVD I have.

gabak
November 27th, 2009, 04:05 AM
This works like a charm :)

thanks for all the suggestions!

hey how do i do that?
i got gxine and totem-xine and none of them work great with all dvd.
plz tell me from scrach ?
let say that i just install ubuntu so now what?

i have installed vnc , dvd player and all thing related with dvd in the synaptic also some librery like libdvd or something like that.