PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wobbly windows with video

frogbrains
June 11th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Hello there!
On every other Ubuntu install I have used, (which include 8.04, 8.10, and 9.04) when the windows were manipulated, (wobbled about, set on fire etc.) it effected the video as well. The video got curved, I mean. I recently downgraded from 9.04 back to 8.04, because of the Intel graphics driver thing in 9.04, and I needed Blender. Now, when wobbling the window about, if there is video in Totem or something, it goes all black and flickery until the window stops wobbling. Also, the video isn't visible through the translucent volume meter thing that comes up. I know this is something to do with compositing, but I don't know how to fix it.

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I wasn't sure what to search for to find it!
Adam

Edit: Also, I was just listening to some midis, and noticed how effing brilliant Timidity's softsynth is! It's missing a couple of instruments, but those that are there sound really, really good! Who agrees?

frogbrains
June 11th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Hello there!
On every other Ubuntu install I have used, (which include 8.04, 8.10, and 9.04) when the windows were manipulated, (wobbled about, set on fire etc.) it effected the video as well. The video got curved, I mean. I recently downgraded from 9.04 back to 8.04, because of the Intel graphics driver thing in 9.04, and I needed Blender. Now, when wobbling the window about, if there is video in Totem or something, it goes all black and flickery until the window stops wobbling. Also, the video isn't visible through the translucent volume meter thing that comes up. I know this is something to do with compositing, but I don't know how to fix it.

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I wasn't sure what to search for to find it!
Adam

overdrank
June 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Threads merged :)

Fzang
June 11th, 2009, 10:12 PM
It must be a problem with your driver. My 9650M GT can do wobbly windows + videos without any problems or artifacts. I don't really have a solution for you, though...

I'm on 9.04 btw

frogbrains
June 12th, 2009, 05:20 PM
It must be a problem with your driver. My 9650M GT can do wobbly windows + videos without any problems or artifacts. I don't really have a solution for you, though...

I'm on 9.04 btw

Yeah. As I think I said, it's worked fine for me in all other versions, including 9.04, just not 8.04

overdrank
June 12th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah. As I think I said, it's worked fine for me in all other versions, including 9.04, just not 8.04

I am going off memory here but in Hardy with the intel graphics I believe you need to install the 915 resolution package and use the 810 driver for better performance.

frogbrains
June 12th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I am going off memory here but in Hardy with the intel graphics I believe you need to install the 915 resolution package and use the 810 driver for better performance.

And where would I get the 915 resolution package and the 810 driver?

overdrank
June 13th, 2009, 02:57 AM
And where would I get the 915 resolution package and the 810 driver?

You may use synaptic manager for the 915 resolution, and you may use the command
gksu displayconfig-gtk I believe to set up the i810 driver.

frogbrains
July 28th, 2009, 01:52 AM
You may use synaptic manager for the 915 resolution, and you may use the command
gksu displayconfig-gtk I believe to set up the i810 driver.

Ok. Is it possible that setting this up incorrectly could screw up my display?