PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Boost on Ubuntu

pjvdm
June 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to compile this simple "program" using boost 1.43 under ubuntu (intrepid):

#include <boost/tr1/memory.hpp>

int main()
{
return 1234;
} However, I get the following error:

/usr/include/boost/tr1/detail/config.hpp:60:26: error: no include path in which to search for utility The boost website says (here (http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_35_0/doc/html/boost_tr1/usage.html#boost_tr1.usage.include_style)) to fix this, either

#define BOOST_TR1_DISABLE_INCLUDE_NEXT or

#define BOOST_TR1_GCC_INCLUDE_PATH /usr/include/c++/4.2 but neither works. Both combined also won't work. It still outputs the same error.

I compile with the following command:

g++ -v test.cpp -DBOOST_TR1_DISABLE_INCLUDE_NEXT -DBOOST_TR1_GCC_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include/c++/4.3 -I /usr/include/boost/tr1/tr1 -I /usr/include/boost -o test
My gcc include order is as follows which looks correct according to the boost docs:

#include <...> search starts here:
/usr/include/boost/tr1/tr1
/usr/include/boost
/usr/include/c++/4.3
/usr/include/c++/4.3/i486-linux-gnu
/usr/include/c++/4.3/backward
/usr/local/include
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/include
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/include-fixed
/usr/include
End of search list.
I've also tried to move the /usr/include/boost dir to another location such as /usr/local/include, but got the same result.

Does anybody know how to fix this in Ubuntu?

cheers,
Pieter

pjvdm
June 11th, 2009, 12:39 PM
OK, I copied all the boost includes to another non-std location like /home/<myusername>/boost.

Now it compiles using the following:

g++ test.cpp -I/home/<myusername> main.cpp -o testI this the only way you can get boost going on Ubuntu, by referring to copy of the boost includes, located in a place other than /usr/include or /usr/local/include?

Thx.

Pieter

matcatc
July 5th, 2009, 06:14 PM
It works for me just having it in /usr/include. I just installed the boost-dev libraries from synaptic and thats where they automatically installed.

I should note that i586-mingw32msvc-gcc (mingw) doesn't seem to find it there. Its possible (and I'm trying to figure it out) that you have to install boost in a special place for mingw separate from normal gcc/g++

EDIT: to use boost w/ i586-mingw32msvc-gcc, you need to install the boost libraries in the i586-mingw32msvc-gcc directory (/usr/ i586-mingw32msvc-gcc). In order to get the lib files to work (.a and .so) I had to download bjam and the boost package (from boost directly). I compiled the libraries according to the getting_started page that comes in the package (start from index.html, click getting started, click Getting Started on Unix variants ... (file:///home/matcat/Desktop/boost_1_39_0/more/getting_started/unix-variants.html))).