PDA

View Full Version : A Windows XP problem!

ninja_numbnuts
June 10th, 2009, 06:56 PM
How can I set up Windows XP to record from my mic?

It works perfectly in Ubuntu, but I need to be able to record too Windows!

yaroto98
June 10th, 2009, 07:01 PM
This is a Ubuntu forum, we help you figure out how to fix problems in Ubuntu. Since it works just fine in Ubuntu, all I can say is YAY LINUX!

(ps it probably works in windows, just go into your sound manager, unmute everything, and max out the volume on the mics)

ninja_numbnuts
June 10th, 2009, 07:04 PM
This is a Ubuntu forum, we help you figure out how to fix problems in Ubuntu. Since it works just fine in Ubuntu, all I can say is YAY LINUX!

(ps it probably works in windows, just go into your sound manager, unmute everything, and max out the volume on the mics)

Lol, I know this is a Ubuntu forum! I noticed by the name :P

But people here seem like they know things, so I thought it would be a good place to ask!

And I tried with the Volume Manager, but its being stupid :(

pwnst*r
June 10th, 2009, 07:05 PM
what app are you using to record with.

ninja_numbnuts
June 10th, 2009, 07:07 PM
what app are you using to record with.

Audacity and Windows Sound recorder.

pwnst*r
June 10th, 2009, 07:38 PM
odd. i've never had a problem with even generic mics (which most people use) under windows.

you need to give a little more detail other than the volume manager being "stupid"

The Real Dave
June 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM
How can I set up Windows XP to record from my mic?

It works perfectly in Ubuntu, but I need to be able to record too Windows!

Make sure that your mike is being detected as a mike, Windows can be finicky about which audio ports you use for what. If you have two mic ports, try both. Also, if you have a Realtek audio device, have a look in the Raeltek manager (should be on the notification area, a kind of a red symbol) and see how its set up in there.

Make sure that Audacity is recording from the right source, and check the sound mixer (right click the volume notification) and make sure that the mic aint muted. Jack it up to full volume.

I've had similar problems in XP, even with generic equipment. Usually just takes some fiddling with.

If all the above doesn't work, you may have to upgrade your sound controllers driver

ninja_numbnuts
June 18th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Make sure that your mike is being detected as a mike, Windows can be finicky about which audio ports you use for what. If you have two mic ports, try both. Also, if you have a Realtek audio device, have a look in the Raeltek manager (should be on the notification area, a kind of a red symbol) and see how its set up in there.

Make sure that Audacity is recording from the right source, and check the sound mixer (right click the volume notification) and make sure that the mic aint muted. Jack it up to full volume.

I've had similar problems in XP, even with generic equipment. Usually just takes some fiddling with.

If all the above doesn't work, you may have to upgrade your sound controllers driver

Thanks, but I have already tried all of that, and it still doesn't work!

HappyFeet
June 18th, 2009, 04:39 AM
The good people over at PC Perspective (http://forums.pcper.com/) will be more than willing to help.