PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphics Driver problem

bwallum
June 7th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Hi

I can't seem to get to the bottom of failures in the Xserver at boot up. It falls back to the console, flashes slowly 3 times then up pops a box saying that I need to manually configure the Xserver and that it will start in low res. When the Desktop comes up I get a stretched display on a 19" widescreen Xerox monitor.

If I try to use the nVidia X Server Settings I am told that I need to run nvidia-xconfig as root then restart X. That doesn't work so I am in a perpetual loop. I have tried loading the 64bit nVidia 185 driver (which works a treat on my other box) and it appeared to all go well but distorted low res is all I get on reboot.

How do I get back to a default setting and restart? xorg.conf is minimal just when I grasped the various sections of xorg.conf I find every thing is 'configured'. Where is the real configuration going on?

I'm on an AMD64 bit pc with an nVidia 6600LE card, running Jaunty AMD64.

Regards
Bob

fslezak
June 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Can you send a screenshot of your desktop and a screenshot of the message.

bwallum
June 8th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I'm not too sure exactly how I fixed this problem so be careful if following this.

I first installed the nvidia driver 180 from System>Administration>Hardware Drivers. It produced a stretched screen and wanted me to run nvidia-xconfig which took me back to the start as above.

I then tried to install the latest 64bit nvidia driver 185.18.14 as below:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1140071

When trying to turn off the X server I found that I couldn't. There was a lock on screen 0. I rm'd the lock file (sudo rm /tmp/.X0-lock) cd'd to Desktop and ran the nvidia install file again.

Upon reboot all was well! I have the nvidia 64bit 185.14 driver installed, with System>Preferences>Nvidia X Server Settings fully working. All nice and stable but as I say, not too sure how it was really achieved.

Thanks for responding
Bob