PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.04 Vs. OS X

som1special2
June 7th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I am thinking of buying a new computer with OS X. I have been using Ubuntu since th 7's series and have grown to truly love it. The one thing I do not love however is lack of Apple support, (which is not a linux fault). I want to buy a mini mac with OS X 10.5. I want to know if, like linux; OS X is virus free. I guess that is the only other thing about OS X that I am interested in aside from total apple product compatability. I also don't like paying for programs, but I know there are many free programs out there that Linux uses that are multi platform and free to use with OS X as it is a Unix based OS. Please feel free to give opinion; however, I am looking for facts to help in my decision.

Thank you

MDNZ
June 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Well it's not virus-free, it's just that viruswriters write viruses for Windows because most of the people use Windows.
Though, when using OS X, I wouldn't worry too much about viruses.

Bios Element
June 7th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Well it's not virus-free, it's just that viruswriters write viruses for Windows because most of the people use Windows.
Though, when using OS X, I wouldn't worry too much about viruses.

Um...Not virus free? Name one virus that's actually been in the wild for linux. G'Luck with that.

Skripka
June 7th, 2009, 05:53 PM
There isn't vrus/malware problems with OSX--however one thing that grates on my nerves is the total lack of adjustability of anything in the GUI.

MDNZ
June 7th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Um...Not virus free? Name one virus that's actually been in the wild for linux. G'Luck with that.

I was talking about OS X. Read my post before you make a comment. ;)
What I basically wanted to say was that no OS is 100% safe.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Some facts on this site http://www.securemac.com/

The malware for OSX I've read about requires that the users be tricked into installing it.

I haven't owned a MAC in years though.

aysiu
June 7th, 2009, 08:11 PM
It isn't a good idea to think you're invincible.

But there are still no probable threats in either OS X or Linux unless you are extremely gullible (and thus susceptible to phishing and trojans).

venator260
June 7th, 2009, 08:40 PM
My girlfriend bought a Mac Book, a while ago... it has 10.4 on it.

My experience is that it's mostly stable, she's had about 2 lockups in 2 years (aside from weirdness as a direct result of the battery going completely dead and shutting off the computer). They have definitely got the looks thing down quite well.

For me, they're not worth the price that comes with them, but that's a person's choice. They look rather good, and are quite reliable.

joe26
June 7th, 2009, 08:46 PM
No OS on earth in un-hackable, windows linux mac os2 warp, none just linux system dont go boom flip flop and flank, all he gets is rootkits and net cookies:-({|=