PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hard drive partition reported as picture CD.

Bearly Able
June 7th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Hi,

I have two SATA hard drives, one with Windows XP and the other with Ubuntu. When I first installed Ubuntu (Hardy), I could mount my five Windows partitions with no problems. Three weeks ago, I upgraded to Jaunty, I still had no problem with the partitions. Unfortunately, I had a lot of other problems, so yesterday I did a fresh install of Intrepid. Now three of my partitions mount OK, but the other two show a message at the top of the file browser stating "These files are on a picture CD", with an option of opening F-spot.

Can anyone explain why this has happened and help me fix it, please?

Thanks in advance.

LewRockwell
June 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM
not sure on the answer to your difficulties but thought that while you wait you could do current back-ups/clones of the drives if you don't have them already.

(and also posting this so you know there are folks out here reading and thinking about your problem)

TheLions
June 7th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Hi,

I have two SATA hard drives, one with Windows XP and the other with Ubuntu. When I first installed Ubuntu (Hardy), I could mount my five Windows partitions with no problems. Three weeks ago, I upgraded to Jaunty, I still had no problem with the partitions. Unfortunately, I had a lot of other problems, so yesterday I did a fresh install of Intrepid. Now three of my partitions mount OK, but the other two show a message at the top of the file browser stating "These files are on a picture CD", with an option of opening F-spot.

Can anyone explain why this has happened and help me fix it, please?

Thanks in advance.

I thing its just a typo...

F-spot detected that on removable drives are some pictures and asking if you want see them.

you should report this as a bug.

Bearly Able
June 7th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Thanks for the encouragement, LewRockwell. Don't worry - I've had so many problems of late I have backups of my backups!

TheLions: I'm not sure it's a typo. Firstly, it's never happened before. Secondly, there are pictures on two of the other partitions that don't come up with this message. I've tried to attach a screenshot to show what I mean. It's my first attempt at that, so I hope it works!

mikechant
June 8th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I'm sure I saw another post about this and it turned out to be related to the fact that the partition had a folder called 'pictures' in the root directory! Try renaming this folder.

Bearly Able
June 8th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Hi mikechant - you are a star. That's solved the problem. I don't know why it's only just started happening - unless the issue only affects Intrepid? Never mind, that's it fixed. :D Thank you for your help.