View Full Version : [ubuntu] elonex web book

June 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM
hi there i just purchased a elonex webbook with ubunto in it. when u start machine u get the ubunto come up on the screen then it goed blank and just stays like that. if u press the on button again there is lots of writing then the webbook shuts off.
any ideas what is wrong

June 7th, 2009, 01:40 PM
If you've just bought it and it won't even start I'd suggest you go back to the place you bought it and ask them to either fix or replace it...

June 7th, 2009, 01:44 PM
i bought it from ebay second hand. will i have to get a new operating system for it.

June 7th, 2009, 03:12 PM
i have a elonex web book that has ubuntu on it that wont come on. how do i put windows xp on please.

June 7th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Threads merged

June 7th, 2009, 03:13 PM
i have a elonex web book that has ubuntu on it that wont come on. how do i put windows xp on please.
You boot the PC with a Windows XP installation disk in the optical drive and follow the prompts.

June 7th, 2009, 03:30 PM
i'm new to this so forgive me for being thick..........but
this web book has no drives in it.
what else do i need to get the xp disc loaded
ta bob;)

June 7th, 2009, 03:42 PM
There may be problems with installing XP; there's no optical drive so you can't install from CD and do Elonex provide drivers for Windows?

If you search here for Elonex Webbook you will find instructions for re-installing Ubuntu from a USB memory stick. Alternatively you could remove the harddrive, stick it in another box and install Ubuntu to that. I doubt you could do this with XP due to authorisation problems.

if you search a Windows site you may be more likely to find advice on installing Windows; probably the first step will be "go out and buy a XP CD" (if you can find one).

June 7th, 2009, 04:01 PM
i have a cd with xp pro on it and the coa

June 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM
But no CD drive.

This is an Ubuntu site, you may get more joy about installing XP from Microsoft-related site - would you go to a motorcycle store to ask for help with a problem with a car?

You could try removing the harddrive, putting it in another box, installing from your CD in the new box's CD drive, entering registration details, putting the drive back in the Webbook, and phoning MS support for new activation details (if it boots).

After that you can start looking for drivers.

If you wish to install Ubuntu, go to the search box at the top of the page and enter 'webbook'

June 7th, 2009, 07:30 PM
You could try using Unetbootin to copy the Windows install CD onto a USB thumb drive and then use that thumb drive (now with the Windows bootable .iso image on it) to install on the netbook. If you don't HAVE a thumb drive you'll need to get one. Even then I don't know that this will work. We're not Windows users here so all we can do is point in you in the general direction.

Again... We are NOT Windows/Unetbootin experts here. You'll need to do some research on your own if the instructions on the website are not clear enough for you to perform this operation.