PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is there a UK ISP for Ubuntu?

ArnoldGove
June 7th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Is there a UK ISP that caters for Ubuntu users?

My present one, for a typical example, requires the use of Windows or Mac PCs, and supplied me with a USB modem.

patioheater
June 7th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Just get yourself a adsl router. The supplied stuff is usually a bit naff anyhow, they just use it to oik people in to make it seem like they are getting a good deal

I use an unlocked BT Business Hub, which are great on a long line

steeleyuk
June 7th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Get a router from either Netgear or Linksys, setup is fairly easy.

ugm6hr
June 7th, 2009, 11:18 AM
My present one, for a typical example, requires the use of Windows or Mac PCs, and supplied me with a USB modem.

That is unusual in modern times; most ISP freebie modems are generally ethernet, and often wifi too.

As suggested by others - invest in a proper ADSL modem-router; they are available for 20-ish (or 25 with wifi) and have the added benefit of a built-in firewall.

This advice applies whether you decide to stick with your current ISP or not; if you change, make sure you get a good transfer package which includes a decent modem-router!

PS: A lot of ISP's have now been bought by TalkTalk; they have apparently bought Tiscali (the other major cheap provider), who themselves own Pipex and Bulldog, in addition to OneTel. While TalkTalk has perhaps the worst customer service I have encountered, they are cheap and fairly reliable (albeit slow at times). My Bulldog service is better (but not sure for how long now that the are part of the same company).

rob2uk
June 7th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Wait until you try to upgrade your service with Bulldog...

They no longer have their own upgrade dept, it's all handled by Pipex, whose staff, for whatever reason, don't know how to upgrade non-Pipex accounts.

We had this problem 2 weeks ago at work - 2 hours on the phone being given another number to call, then another, then another, until we ended up being given the first number we'd called.

Then we told them that instead of upgrading that we wanted to cancel the account due to poor customer service.

They didn't have a number for Bulldog cancellations either, we ended up just cancelling the direct debit

MadnessRed
June 7th, 2009, 12:00 PM

They no longer have their own upgrade dept, it's all handled by Pipex, whose staff, for whatever reason, don't know how to upgrade non-Pipex accounts.

We had this problem 2 weeks ago at work - 2 hours on the phone being given another number to call, then another, then another, until we ended up being given the first number we'd called.

Then we told them that instead of upgrading that we wanted to cancel the account due to poor customer service.

They didn't have a number for Bulldog cancellations either, we ended up just cancelling the direct debit

well it would appear I am not the only one to have trouble with isp, whatever happens don't go to tiscali.

rob2uk
June 7th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Also, in reply to the OP, Be are an awesome ISP

17.50 a month, 24 meg down, 1.5 meg up, no limits or throttling/shaping

www.bethere.co.uk

LiamWilson
June 7th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I find Virgin are quite good. Albeit not exactly 'Linux Freindly', but they're speeds are awesome.

rob2uk
June 7th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I find Virgin are quite good. Albeit not exactly 'Linux Freindly', but they're speeds are awesome.

Yep, but they throttle traffic and have download caps

LiamWilson
June 7th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I don't have download caps.... The only thing I've found is thier wierd peak times. Im Supposed to be on 10MiB, But go down to about 2MiB at around 10-11, but then up to 20-30MiB about 12!

gfk
June 7th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Virgin also host a ubuntu repository so updating and downloading biniaries should be faster.

patioheater
June 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Also, in reply to the OP, Be are an awesome ISP

17.50 a month, 24 meg down, 1.5 meg up, no limits or throttling/shaping

www.bethere.co.uk (http://www.bethere.co.uk)

Only if LLU is enabled on his exchange of course

gn2
June 7th, 2009, 03:19 PM

Yes there is, UKFSN (http://www.ukfsn.org/home/internet/adsl/).

altocumulus
June 7th, 2009, 03:24 PM

they ain't that brilliant for their own pipex account holders....

kwacka
June 7th, 2009, 03:53 PM

What make/model modem do you have?

the requirement for Windows/Mac will be for drivers for the USB modem, once that's working you should be able to connect withpout any problems.

Saying that, an ethernet modem would still be preferable to a USB one.

ArnoldGove
June 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM
What make/model modem do you have?

the requirement for Windows/Mac will be for drivers for the USB modem, once that's working you should be able to connect withpout any problems.

Saying that, an ethernet modem would still be preferable to a USB one.

I have a Thompson SpeedTouch 330. My ISP is BT.

ugm6hr
June 7th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I have a Thompson SpeedTouch 330. My ISP is BT.

The most common free USB modem in the UK; I have about 5 of them now!

My previous advice stands: a new ADSL modem-router is well worth the investment.

However, the 330 does work with Ubuntu (at least Hardy): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=797804

Try replacing the Hardy packages with Jaunty (if you are using Jaunty)

rob2uk
June 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Only if LLU is enabled on his exchange of course

You do realise that pretty much every exchange in the UK is LLU-enabled, right?

EDIT: actually, scrap that. EU law requires that BT/Kingston enable LLU

gn2
June 9th, 2009, 08:15 PM
You do realise that pretty much every exchange in the UK is LLU-enabled, right?

Wrong. Many are not, mine isn't and there are no plans for any providers to enable LLU on my exchange, it's just not commercially viable.

Most LLU ADSL providers only claim to reach 70% of the population and that's an exaggeration.

rob2uk
June 9th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Wrong. Many are not, mine isn't and there are no plans for any providers to enable LLU on my exchange, it's just not commercially viable.

Most LLU ADSL providers only claim to reach 70% of the population and that's an exaggeration.

But that's more due to lack of demand from the ISP than BT not allowing it...

As I said, it's an EU requirement that BT enable it if an ISP request it

londonali1010
June 9th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I use BT Broadband, not great speeds, but I can't be bothered to switch, and it's fine for my use. When I joined them, they gave me a USB modem, but I eventually went out and bought a Linksys ADSL modem/router. Works just fine with the connection, and I use both Linux and Windows machines with it.

Hope that helps you!

rob2uk
June 9th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I use BT Broadband, not great speeds, but I can't be bothered to switch, and it's fine for my use. When I joined them, they gave me a USB modem, but I eventually went out and bought a Linksys ADSL modem/router. Works just fine with the connection, and I use both Linux and Windows machines with it.

Hope that helps you!

Totally off-topic, but that teddy on your blog - WANT!

gn2
June 9th, 2009, 10:55 PM
But that's more due to lack of demand from the ISP than BT not allowing it...

Spot-on, but is it right and proper that the major ISPs are allowed to cherry pick exchanges and run national advertising campaigns which are not open to everyone?

OFCOM should have made it all or nothing.

mick222
June 9th, 2009, 10:58 PM
never had a problem with virgin just phone up and they enable your modem and your connected.

ArnoldGove
June 10th, 2009, 08:17 PM
The most common free USB modem in the UK; I have about 5 of them now!

My previous advice stands: a new ADSL modem-router is well worth the investment.

However, the 330 does work with Ubuntu (at least Hardy): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=797804

Try replacing the Hardy packages with Jaunty (if you are using Jaunty)

PCLinuxOS detects this modem just fine. Why not Ubuntu? It is, after all, the "most common free USB modem in the UK".

ugm6hr
June 10th, 2009, 10:30 PM
PCLinuxOS detects this modem just fine. Why not Ubuntu? It is, after all, the "most common free USB modem in the UK".

A very valid question, and one to which I do not know the answer.

However, I suspect it is because my previous statement is no longer true: most free modems are now ethernet or wifi routers. Ubuntu is more concerned with supporting new developing technologies like 3G mobile broadband than legacy USB modems.