PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] .tar.gz _ how to install....

saikat_tapu
June 7th, 2009, 07:41 AM
hi friends,
how can i install *.tar.gz files.

please help me.

Nythain
June 7th, 2009, 08:00 AM
what are you trying to install... is it a program from source, a gtk2 theme, a large collection of music... tar.gz is just a compressed file... you'll have to give us more info

Steelmourne
June 7th, 2009, 08:04 AM
First check if the software is in synaptic but if it isn't, move the folder to your home folder. Then open up terminal and type
tar xzvf "tarballname".tar.gz replacing the name with the name of the
downloaded file. Then type cd to move to the folder you extracted, then type ./configure
followed by make install. This provides more info

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo

Just use your home folder for extraction not usr/scr/bin

jonobr
June 7th, 2009, 08:07 AM
To extract that file you can either right click on the file and select extract to here,
or using a terminal window,

type
gunzip <filename>.tar.gz

tar -xvf filename.tar

This will uncompact the whole thing,

however, as Nythain says, you need to know what you are going to do with the uncompressed file when done.

In the windows world you have a zip file which you unzip.
You then need to find an msi or exe to run.

the same is true here, you need to know what you need to do with the uncompacted ,uncompressed file

3rdalbum
June 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM
A .tar.gz file is just a compressed archive. It can contain anything that gets put into it. It might contain a GTK theme, a precompiled program, some source code, or a picture of my Uncle Robin's hairpiece.

Before following any advice here on using the contents of this file, you must tell us what it contains. Is it source code for a program? Does it contain the program itself? Does it contain instructions for how to use the contents? If it does contain instructions, what happens when you follow the instructions?