PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Dictionary applet won't work...

sdim
June 7th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Hi,everyone.
I'm just trying to look up some words on the Dictionary applet,but after I type the word and hit Enter,nothing happens.It just says after a while:
"Error while looking up definition
Connection timeout for the dictionary server at 'dict.org:2628'".

Any help?

many thanks.

baruch60610
June 7th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Hi, Sdim:

Are you connected to the Internet when you try to use the dictionary? It's an online resource, meaning the applet looks up the words online (using port 2628.. See if you can get it to work when you're connected.

If you *were* connected to the Internet, then it sounds like your firewall is blocking port 2628. Use iptables (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IptablesHowTo) to open up port 2628 for you.

Hope this helped.

sdim
June 7th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Thanks.
Yes,I know I have to be connected (and I am).
I suspected the firewall and tried to make an exception,but I couldn't.I'll try again.
Many thanks.

BTW:How can I allow incoming traffic through port 2628,as the message says?
I'm not too familiar with commands.
I'm using Gufw.

sdim
June 7th, 2009, 03:18 AM
It's not the firewall.
I shut it down but still the Dictionary doesn't work.

InkyDinky
June 8th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Does it work today? I was having a similar problem yesterday. I could ping the dict server but kept getting a time out message. However, today everything worked without changing anything.

ecmatter
June 8th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I had the same problem yesterday. Today it works.

Sir Jasper
June 8th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Hi,

I had a similar problem. My Firewall is active and after I allowed dict on 2628 it worked. I didn't understand why though as typing dict.org into Firefox worked.

My regards

PS I added it to my outbound whitelist.

brijith
July 31st, 2009, 02:39 PM
hai Everyone.

I too had the same problem. because of that I reached to this post after googling. I got it corrected just now. What I did is just took its preferences by right clicking in the panel dictionary icon. And clicked in the add button and simply clicked again in the add button in the new window.

After that it worked for me !!!

Thanks

afeasfaerw23231233
July 31st, 2009, 06:32 PM
Hi, I know it's a bit off topic. Did any of you try stardict? It can work offline and I can add additional dictionaries on it. It also has scan function.

Zanzibar
September 13th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I've had a similar problem. It turned out the firewall on my router was blocking the port. I had to enable TCP port 2628. It now works just fine.
I am not using a firewall on my ubuntu 9.04 and haven't changed iptables so I am sure the router is the reason- at least in my case.

RabbitWho
September 13th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Hi, I know it's a bit off topic. Did any of you try stardict? It can work offline and I can add additional dictionaries on it. It also has scan function.

I use Artha, I love it.
I could only find a .exe for Stardict, and I'm pretty happy with Artha now..