PDA

View Full Version : [other] linux in general

mynameismud
June 6th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I have been trying to get a linux distribution to work for a looooong time now on and off
i first tryed mandriva but i didnt really like it
so i tryed ubuntu i couldnt get the lice disc to work it just wouldnt work when i tryed to try it so i eventualy got to preview it by installing it inside windows and i really like it so i installed it but then no it had the same problem when i tryed 2 to use the live disc(dropped me to a shell command line)
iv tryed many of other distros of linux but still no luck mandriva is the only one that has worked very well.

I am dual booting windows 7 and windows XP 3 gbs of RAM Nvidia Geforce graphics card. Pentium D chip

Why does linux not like my computer?

----------------
Now playing: Ten Benson - Transport Overseas (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/ten+benson/track/transport+overseas)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

SunnyRabbiera
June 6th, 2009, 08:10 PM
It depends on hardware really.
But its odd, both intel processors and nvidia both usually work well with linux.
What other distros have you tried?

mynameismud
June 6th, 2009, 08:14 PM
i've tryed gentoo , fedora and sabayon

SunnyRabbiera
June 6th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Did you try OpenSuse or PCLinux yet?
Gentoo Fedora and sabayon are more for advanced users, Mandriva, Ubuntu, OpenSuse and PClinux are more targeted for the new user.
Mepis is another one worth trying.

mynameismud
June 6th, 2009, 08:21 PM
okay ill try them both but its the fact that none of them work on my computer that is really getting me down atm :(

SunnyRabbiera
June 6th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Can you give us the full specs of your computer?
What brand and model is your computer?
Some computers work better then others whewn concerning linux compatibility, companies like Dell and HP usually make linux friendly stuff, while Gateway, Emachines and some others mistreat linux.
Linux is about finding the distro that works for you, each one has its quirks and strengths..
Another possibility is you got a bad burn with your previous attempts.
When burning try a lower speed, sometimes burning too fast can cause issues.

mynameismud
June 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM
i bought it as a bare bones PC so m not to sure of the make of the computer.
intel pentium D 3ghz
3gbs of RAM
apprently the mother board is made by microstar
34bit

if any more info is needed dont hesitate to ask :)

SunnyRabbiera
June 6th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Hmm well then the issue might be your burn speed, like I said burn too fast and you can and will get a bad burn.

mynameismud
June 6th, 2009, 08:42 PM
well i'll make another ubuntu disk but i have made many a disk. thanks for your help

SunnyRabbiera
June 6th, 2009, 08:45 PM
well i'll make another ubuntu disk but i have made many a disk. thanks for your help

Give it another shot, lilke I said though make sure the burn isnt too fast.

LewRockwell
June 6th, 2009, 10:23 PM
If it were my machine I'd try Puppy Linux and Damn Small Linux on it...

but that's just me...

mynameismud
June 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM
i made another ubunt disk at the lowest speed possible i got to the main menu and i selected "try ubuntu without making any changes to my computer"

it first came up with this message twice :
ata5:SRST failed (errorno -16)

it then went to the loading bar for a while before changing to :
busybox v1.10.2 (something something somthing) dropped to shell(ash)
enter help for a list of commands
(intramfs)*(then i could type here)*

any ideas?

mynameismud
June 7th, 2009, 03:18 PM
shameless bump

LewRockwell
June 7th, 2009, 03:44 PM
shameless bump

Puppy Linux and Damn Small Linux are both designed to run on as many different configurations as possible.

They are both small, easy to obtain, easy to run, and attempting to run them will give you some idea of how hard it is going to be to run *nix distros on your presence system and configuration.

Jazzy_Jeff
June 7th, 2009, 04:11 PM
i made another ubunt disk at the lowest speed possible i got to the main menu and i selected "try ubuntu without making any changes to my computer"

it first came up with this message twice :
ata5:SRST failed (errorno -16)

it then went to the loading bar for a while before changing to :
busybox v1.10.2 (something something somthing) dropped to shell(ash)
enter help for a list of commands
(intramfs)*(then i could type here)*

any ideas?

I get the busybox error all the time on my computer if I try to use the live cd. If you are sure you want to install Ubuntu download the alternate install cd. It is all text based but easy to use. That is what I use now for installs.