PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Copy to USB from command prompt

roaftech
June 6th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Toshiba Satellite Pro (MS-free zone)
Please can someone help with one of these:

A] An attempted upgrade to 9.04 has fouled up my laptop leaving me without a graphical interface (I can logon normally but then nothing appears at all) but I still have access to the command line via the CTRL+ALT+F2 routine. I need to copy off my previous files before reloading 8.10 from scratch again. What is the command sequence for recognising a usb drive?

B] I did a fresh install on a separate partition which works fine but I cannot access any files on the old partition - what is the procedure for moving files across partitions?

Many thanks.

3rdalbum
June 6th, 2009, 10:35 AM
You need to mount the USB device. If your desktop is still working but hidden, the mounting should happen automatically, and the USB device will be available under /media.

If it's not, then you need to do the following:

mkdir ~/disk

Makes a new directory mountpoint, called "disk", inside your home directory. Don't use "sudo"; you want this directory to have the same permissions as your user.

sudo fdisk -l

Shows a list of available partitions, their types and their device file names, for instance "/dev/sdb". Use this to find out what device file name your USB stick is.

sudo mount /dev/sdb ~/disk

And that should mount the /dev/sdb device into the directory ~/disk. Obviously, substitute /dev/sdb for whatever the correct device file name is of the USB device.

After you're done copying, you unmount with:

sudo umount ~/disk

The same procedure can be used to mount your other partition. Happiness!

roaftech
June 6th, 2009, 11:41 AM
G'day 3A, thanks for the quick response. I'll give it a whirl right away.

Best wishes,
Steve

roaftech
June 7th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Many thanks - that was the info I needed and I have been able to save my files before re-installing 8.10 satisfactorily.

Best wishes,

3rdalbum
June 7th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Glad to be of help.