PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problem with running firefox .....

karan_sharma01
June 6th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I am using ubuntu 8.04

Initially the problem with firefox was that with flash player.Web sites like youtube,com always ask to get latest flash player even though i had installed firefox many times with command "apt-get install flashplugin nonfree" .

Then i upgraded firefox with command " wget -P ~ ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/3.0b3/linux-i686/en-US/firefox-3.0b3.tar.bz2 && tar xjf ~/firefox-3.0b3.tar.bz2 -C ~"

now the problem is when ever i click firefox icon it shows
"Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."

if i start firefox from terminal as super user its running all right ....
but with any other user its showing the same message .
And also the problem of flash player is still not solved ..its again showing the same message "get latest flash plugin""....

please help..

kalesh7
June 6th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Remove all flash plugins, remove firefox then install firefox from the package manager, then run firefox and get to a flash enabled site, firefox should show a bar near the top that says something like "plugins are needed to display all the media on this page" (I forget the exact wording" hit install or whatever button it is. it will search and give you a list of options, install one from it preferably the one that appears to be the latest one from abode.

karan_sharma01
June 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM
still the same problem
"Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."
running from terminal .....with super user only

ddrichardson
June 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM
run firefox from the command line (as normal user) using:
firefox -pThis will identify if you have a profile issue.

Knacker_Ned
June 6th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I often have the "Firefox is already running" problem - despite reinstalling Firefox (3.0.10). There's no consistency, either. About half the time Firefox loads fine, but on other occasions I have to use the killall command to get it to load.

Knacker_Ned
June 6th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Apologies to karan_sharma01 for butting in here, but this is what I get when typing firefox -p at the terminal:

the choose user profile window pops up with only the default option showing. I click on Start Firefox and Firefox runs okay. But when I close Firefox, the terminal window now says "firefox: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ��re/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo0."

I then started Firefox again (by clicking on the icon) and it starts okay (on this occasion, anyway).

Knacker_Ned
June 6th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Ahah! Tried the same process again and this time Firefox wouldn't load, coming up with the message:

"Firefox cannot use the profile "default" because it is in use. To continue, close the running instance of Firefox or choose a different profile."

karan_sharma01
June 6th, 2009, 11:50 AM
with firefox -p .. iam getting 3 option for profile(default,default user,default_user)....and running with all 3......
please help

:-(

derekeverett
June 6th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Hi there...

I would try running ps -e in the terminal and get the process numbers for each instance of firefox.

Then maybe try kill -p processnumber for each instance. That should get rid of them all.

As far as getting flash to work sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras should take care of most of your woes.

I'm no expert here but I think that should work...

Curvature_Tensor
June 6th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Two options:

1. delete the .lock file created on your computer to launch a new firefox.
2. always start firefox from terminal, when done, close the terminal after closing the browser screen.

ddrichardson
June 6th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Can you post the output of:
wheris firefox

Knacker_Ned
June 7th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Thank you everyone for helping us both with our problems. I'll begin with ddrichardson's request as it's the simplest for a newbie to understand. ;)

I typed in wheris firefox at the terminal and received this:

/usr/bin/firefox /usr/lib/firefox /usr/share/firefox

3rdalbum
June 7th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Your other problem (Flash doesn't work):

The Flash Player package does not contain Flash Player, it actually contains a script that downloads Flash Player from the Adobe website. When Hardy was released, the Flash package worked. However, a year has passed and now the file is no longer on Adobe's server in that location.

You need to manually install Flash Player from the Adobe website, or update to the latest Ubuntu (9.04).

MadnessRed
June 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I often have the "Firefox is already running" problem - despite reinstalling Firefox (3.0.10). There's no consistency, either. About half the time Firefox loads fine, but on other occasions I have to use the killall command to get it to load.

bit drastic, whenever I have that problem I just open the system processes and kill the firefox process.

ddrichardson
June 7th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Part of the problem is the way you have installed Firefox. Uncompressing a non-debian specific tarball means there are likely to be issues and one that springs to mind is the different locations for plugins (/usr/share and /usr/local/share).

I'd stronly advise you to remove the current copy and install an aptitude controlled copy unless there is a specific reason not to be using one in the repository.

Knacker_Ned
June 7th, 2009, 02:50 PM
MadnessRed: I'll remember that. Thanks for the tip.

ddrichardson: I don't recall uncompressing a non-debian specific tarball, though it could quite easily have happened when using the Hardy Heron version of Kubuntu. Since then I've upgraded to Jaunty Jalope. Anyway, I'm going to give your suggestion a go and will report back here - hopefully - later today. Thanks again for your help.

ddrichardson
June 7th, 2009, 03:22 PM
MadnessRed: I'll remember that. Thanks for the tip.

ddrichardson: I don't recall uncompressing a non-debian specific tarball, though it could quite easily have happened when using the Hardy Heron version of Kubuntu. Since then I've upgraded to Jaunty Jalope. Anyway, I'm going to give your suggestion a go and will report back here - hopefully - later today. Thanks again for your help.
You said in your first post:
Then i upgraded firefox with command " wget -P ~ ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/re...-3.0b3.tar.bz2 (ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/3.0b3/linux-i686/en-US/firefox-3.0b3.tar.bz2) && tar xjf ~/firefox-3.0b3.tar.bz2 -C ~"
That's a generic Linux build.

Knacker_Ned
June 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM
You said in your first post:
That's a generic Linux build.

No, you're confusing me with the original poster. Sorry.

Anyway, I've used Synaptic to remove all trace of Firefox. I also deleted /usr/bin/firefox /usr/lib/firefox /usr/share/firefox and then reinstalled Firefox from Synaptic but to no avail as the original problem has returned, that is, I sometimes can't reload Firefox because it says Firefox is already in use.

Don't know if it helps any, but when this occurs and I check Show System Activity, the running application is usr/lib/firefox and the Parent is Ksystraycmd.

ddrichardson
June 7th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Oh OK I'm with you now sorry - is it related to this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk-qt-engine/+bug/306056

Really, raising a bug report with Mozilla is likely to yield the best results.

Knacker_Ned
June 7th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Oh OK I'm with you now sorry - is it related to this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk-qt-engine/+bug/306056

Really, raising a bug report with Mozilla is likely to yield the best results.

Will do. Thanks again for your help. :)

karan_sharma01
June 9th, 2009, 04:15 PM
output of "whereis firefox "

root@Rocky:/home/karan# whereis firefox
firefox: /usr/bin/firefox /usr/share/firefox

i've reinstalled firefox from synaptic package manager and still suffring from those problems .....:(:(:(:(:(

please help ...thanx

karan_sharma01
June 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
please help sumbody

ddrichardson
June 9th, 2009, 05:52 PM
You're missing some of the symlinks.

I'd advise you to ask Mozilla, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MozillaTeam/Bugs is a good place to start filing bugs as Mozilla is upstream.

karan_sharma01
June 10th, 2009, 04:58 PM
some how i've managed to solve one problem .....now my firefox is running from the icon ......

well i am no expert in Ubuntu but i think the problem was that only root user has the permissions to access profile.ini and cl67a3c0.default folder in home/.mozilla ......so i replaced the whole firefox folder in .mozilla folder with the firefox folder from firefox-3.0b3.tar.bz2 package having the appropriate privileges for all users that i've downloaded from the internet ..............
now its running fine

thanx all for the help!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Lykopis
June 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I had this problem with Firefox as well. So here's what I did maybe this will help someone out there, but this is for the KDE (Kubuntu) users.
Open "System Settings" and on the "advanced" tab click "Session Manager" Change the setting from "Restore previous session" to "Start with an empty session" Click the apply button and exit.

Ok what this does is to make sure all processes are killed at log- off Firefox included.

Next I went to my home folder under view I clicked "show hidden files" .
Find the .mozilla folder and right click on it then go to the "Permissions" tab.
Change the Permissions for all fields to "Can View & Modify Content"
Click the "Apply changes to all subfolders and their contents" box.
Click the OK button and exit all windows then log off and back on.
You should be able to start Firefox now and if Firefox crashes a log-off will kill it's process.
Also you might wish to try the Opera Browser it doesn't suffer from this bug. but you have to get it from the Opera site.
I don't think it's in the Ubuntu repositories but it does work.

You can get Opera here
http://www.opera.com/