PDA

View Full Version : Hello--12 more days until my mini 9 w Ubuntu gets here.

lilyphoenix
June 6th, 2009, 04:14 AM
):P
So, I started looking for a netbook as soon as I heard that you could get a teeny laptop for $300. :) After much soul searching I decided that I would get a mini 9 (from dell), because it came with this Ubuntu thing, which seemed to be the most user friendly kind of linux. I already have more than one 1GB ram computer with windows and they are plenty slow. My friend from work thinks I'm a total idiot for not getting windows.

So, in 12 days, are there any tutorials, guides, etc. I should read that would make it so I don't get frustrated and upset 20 minutes after turning on my new computer? I have an old windows PC i could try it on, just I'm not sure I have the time to figure out how to set it up. How about an audiobook or podcast so i can listen in the car?

Also: Things I do all the time and want to know if they work or have alternatives (feel free to link me to other threads):

hulu!
online flash games (neopets, vpnwars.com etc)---although i'm pretty sure i played neopets from a linux computer in college once...
will netflix streaming ever work (last I checked it doesn't work on mac or firefox)
other online tv shows streaming (no dvd drive...need entertainment)
when will chrome for linux come out?
xmradio online--boo to them for charging so much
if none of the above work, tell me where to find the best tetris like game ever and i probably won't notice until the other things get worked out anyway
Also, I saw on the front page, the ubuntu for netbooks. I suppose this won't come with my computer, so should i get this? How?

That's all for now. I'd love to meet people to chat with so I don't get stuck later.

CJ Master
June 6th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu. :)

hulu! - works in linux
Skype - you can install in linux
online flash games (neopets, vpnwars.com etc)---although i'm pretty sure i played neopets from a linux computer in college once... - you can install flash in linux
will netflix streaming ever work (last I checked it doesn't work on mac or firefox) - nope, sorry. Bug Netflix to change to flash or java.
other online tv shows streaming (no dvd drive...need entertainment) - About any flash site should work. Youtube, hulu, etc...
when will chrome for linux come out? - unknown. Don't use the alpha unless you're a developer.
xmradio online--boo to them for charging so much - I don't know about this, try Project Pandora or Project Playlist.
if none of the above work, tell me where to find the best tetris like game ever and i probably won't notice until the other things get worked out anyway - Should be in add/remove :)

lilyphoenix
June 6th, 2009, 04:28 AM
What's the add/remove bit mean?

Welcome to Ubuntu. :)

if none of the above work, tell me where to find the best tetris like game ever and i probably won't notice until the other things get worked out anyway - Should be in add/remove :)

Matthewthegreat
June 6th, 2009, 04:32 AM
What's the add/remove bit mean?

That is the package manager (thats where you go to install programs)

In linux you install programs right from your desktop

keplerspeed
In the menu applications>add/remove. From here you can install and remove software packages such as games etc.

CJ Master
Well, unlike Windows you don't go to websites to download programs (barring the few exceptions.) In Ubuntu, there's a program called Add/Remove on the "applications" menu, in which there's a list of software you can install. Simply find the ones you want, click the check mark next to them, then click continue. It will then download it from a safe source, and install the programs. I'm sorely disappointed in the lack of this in windows. >.<

Vostrocity
June 6th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu Forums. :)

Ubuntu should be pretty easy to figure out the first time you turn it on, especially since it came preinstalled (good choice, don't listen to your friend :D). Installation is usually hardest part along with getting all the hardware components to work, but Dell has taken care of all that for you. If you really want a guide.. dang it I know there's a really good offical handbook that's free but I just can't remember where it was. Someone link it for me if you find it. :o

lilyphoenix
June 6th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Thanks Cool! I learned something already. Maybe if I have time this weekend, I'll try Ubuntu out on my PC that I never use because it takes 5 minutes to open firefox....Given that my PC is this slow, will running Ubuntu without gettting rid of windows XP even work?

I have no idea why I bought Ubuntu without trying it, except that I was reading about the issue around Netflix not supporting it, and I said, "hey, if I give in and just get windows, I'm not changing the whole everyone uses windows thing at all".

:popcorn: I love that smiley <--

CJ Master
June 6th, 2009, 04:43 AM
If the PC is worthless with XP then why keep xp on it at all?

But yea, dual booting should be fine. =]

jonian_g
June 6th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Ubuntu has a live cd and you can run it without even installing it. If you decide to install it on that computer you can dual boot it with windows. (use different partitions or install it from windows using WUBI).
If you have more than 512mb RAM and a 1GHz and up processor, then it will run great.

I'm running ubuntu on an old pc of my parents (P3 800Mhz, 384Mb Ram) and it runs fine. For older systems you can take a look a xubuntu or other more lightweight distros such as DSL, PuppyLinux, TinyME etc.

Sealbhach
June 6th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I have no idea why I bought Ubuntu without trying it, except that I was reading about the issue around Netflix not supporting it, and I said, "hey, if I give in and just get windows, I'm not changing the whole everyone uses windows thing at all".

I like your thinking - "be the change you want to see in the world". One good reason to use Linux is the security, you won't have to run antivirus sftware, which is great.

Sealbhach
June 6th, 2009, 05:05 AM
If you really want a guide.. dang it I know there's a really good offical handbook that's free but I just can't remember where it was. Someone link it for me if you find it. :o

There's this one by Keir Thomas, which is free to download as a .pdf....

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html

lilyphoenix
June 9th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Hooray! It got here early.

Unfortunately I seem to have mistyped my password, and I don't know what I misstyped. Can someone point me to where to fix that?

Also: What's up with the EULA's at the beginning? I take it DELL put some not so free software on it.

gn2
June 9th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Definitely ditch the iPod. Forever.

LowSky
June 9th, 2009, 07:35 PM
if you are going to use sirius or xm radio and are going to keep it, then buy a lifetime subsription, it not on the website but it is offered over the phone. it pays for itself in 3 years.

thegreenblob
June 9th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Hooray! It got here early.

Unfortunately I seem to have mistyped my password, and I don't know what I misstyped. Can someone point me to where to fix that?

Also: What's up with the EULA's at the beginning? I take it DELL put some not so free software on it.

Congrats on getting it early :p

Never actually reset a password my self but I found two tutorials on how to do it.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-recover-password-under-ubuntu.html

Both are different methods, one of them ought to work. ;)

And dell included some codecs, and some other things with their version. Probably why the eula is there.

And I might add if you're not liking the dell version of ubuntu, I recommend taking a look at Ubuntu Netbook Remix (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook). I've been enjoying it on my mini 9. ):P

lilyphoenix
June 9th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I'm not getting the grub sceen on start up.

Esc just gives me ^]

The Dell screen says press 0 for boot options, but recovery mode is not on there.

Also, it boots too fast to read these screens very well (which would be a nice change from windows if I knew my password).

Any ideas?

thegreenblob
June 9th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I'm not getting the grub sceen on start up.

Esc just gives me ^]

The Dell screen says press 0 for boot options, but recovery mode is not on there.

Also, it boots too fast to read these screens very well (which would be a nice change from windows if I knew my password).

Any ideas?

Hmm... from reading this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DellMini9

It would seem the grub menu on the dell ubuntu is set to time out at 0 so you might have a hard time accessing it. But it recommends this:

Booting into Recovery mode

If you have an original Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu pre-installed, you may have a hard time entering the GRUB menu as the default delay is zero. This is particularly problematic if you're trying to reset your password using the passwd command.

You can enter the recovery mode following these steps:

1. Boot the mini 9 while pressing ESC every second
2. When you see the "MBR 2FA:" prompt or similar, the boot process is stopped.
3. Press ENTER and ESC very fast one after the other.
4. You should then see the GRUB menu. Using the up and down arrows, highlight the second option and press ENTER to boot into recovery mode.

Swagman
June 9th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Add / Remove ( http://www.upload3r.com/serve/090609/1244577000.jpeg) <----- Screengrab of Add/Remove
Take note of where the scroll bar is to the right for how many games there are.

lilyphoenix
June 9th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I can get the MBR 2FA: Prompt, but enter esc seems to start ubuntu.

I'll try again in case it's not fast enough.

earthpigg
June 9th, 2009, 09:04 PM
why pick one tetris clone? install all of them, see which you like.

edit: attachment got shrunk... here is photobucket: http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n59/earthpiglite/tetris.jpg

that is pretty much how many ubuntu-ers explore games and software and such.... if its in the ubuntu software repositories (what add/remove accesses) then it is safe.

i am assuming you have a broadband connection, of course?

Vostrocity
June 9th, 2009, 10:40 PM
There's this one by Keir Thomas, which is free to download as a .pdf....

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html
Oh yea thanks that's the one I was thinking of.

lilyphoenix
June 10th, 2009, 04:14 AM
:popcorn:
Okay, comments so far now that I managed to break my own password.

1. What Dell do to it? Oh wait, they let you change to classic ubuntu mode.
2. What Dell do to firefox? I see this web browser thing and I try to install firefox and it tells me I can't uninstall it. So this thing must be firefox in disguise or the real firefox is hidden somewhere.
3. YAHoo toolbar! !?!
4. It took me two minutes to find the apostrophe and I keep hitting the mouse pad while typing. Remind me to keep an extra keyboard for typing. I just keep telling myself that it's easier than typing on my cell.
5. Ha! I logged on as root my first day!

Oh and my bluetooth won't work yet....

earthpigg
June 10th, 2009, 10:58 AM
:popcorn:
Okay, comments so far now that I managed to break my own password.

1. What Dell do to it? Oh wait, they let you change to classic ubuntu mode.
2. What Dell do to firefox? I see this web browser thing and I try to install firefox and it tells me I can't uninstall it. So this thing must be firefox in disguise or the real firefox is hidden somewhere.
3. YAHoo toolbar! !?!
4. It took me two minutes to find the apostrophe and I keep hitting the mouse pad while typing. Remind me to keep an extra keyboard for typing. I just keep telling myself that it's easier than typing on my cell.
5. Ha! I logged on as root my first day!

Oh and my bluetooth won't work yet....

1. yea, most users end up keeping it in 'classic' ubuntu mode.
2. its firefox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox#Trademark_and_logo_issues
3. ya, i thought that was pretty horrid, too.
4. you get used to it. i did, at least.
5. tsk tsk tsk :P

never tried bluetooth, so i cant comment on that.

many people (myself included) simply install vanilla ubuntu on their dell mini 9's just to avoid the quirkiness -- honestly, imo, Dell made a lot of changes to ubuntu that where not improvements. change for the sake of change.

after a dell update broke the Dell Ubuntu 8.04 install, i did a clean install of regular ubuntu 8.10. recently upgraded to 9.04 without a hitch.

(you have picked up on what the version numbers mean, right? 8.04 came out in the 4th month of 2008..... 8.10 came out in 10th month of 2008, etc. :) )