PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will this work? External drive...

blur xc
June 5th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Ok- I'm migrating from an old, worn out, problematic pc to a new one w/ ubunty and vista running in parallels. I shoot photos, and photo editing is going to me a primary use of this computer. I'll have lightroom and photoshop running in vista.

Now my question is in regards to my 1tb external drive, that has about 50k photos on it. Will ubuntu be able to read and write to it (I don't know for sure, but I'm almost certain it's an ntfs drive)?

Right now it's plugged inot a usb port, but on this new system I'll plug it into an esata socket.

BM

C!oud
June 5th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Yes linux has read and write support for ntfs

blur xc
June 5th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Yes linux has read and write support for ntfs

Maybe I'm confused then... I thought I read somewhere that linux could red ntfs, but not write? I read somewhere for dual boot setups, they suggested making a fat32 partition for shared files between the os's? I wish I saved that link...

BM

LewRockwell
June 6th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Ok- I'm migrating from an old, worn out, problematic pc to a new one w/ ubunty and vista running in parallels. I shoot photos, and photo editing is going to me a primary use of this computer. I'll have lightroom and photoshop running in vista.

Now my question is in regards to my 1tb external drive, that has about 50k photos on it. Will ubuntu be able to read and write to it (I don't know for sure, but I'm almost certain it's an ntfs drive)?

Right now it's plugged inot a usb port, but on this new system I'll plug it into an esata socket.

BM

sidenote:

whenever I see someone that appears to be storing large quantities of valuable data on ONE DRIVE, I cannot refrain from strongly suggesting some sort of clone/back-up on another external drive.

my apologies if this is already taking place...
and can you afford to lose it all, if you're not already cloning it?

I use Clonezilla and have been satisfied with it.

as always, your mileage may vary...

Hund
June 6th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Maybe I'm confused then... I thought I read somewhere that linux could red ntfs, but not write? I read somewhere for dual boot setups, they suggested making a fat32 partition for shared files between the os's? I wish I saved that link...

BM

I think it was back in 2007 when the "NTFS-3G" tool got both read and write support.

blur xc
June 6th, 2009, 02:34 AM
sidenote:

whenever I see someone that appears to be storing large quantities of valuable data on ONE DRIVE, I cannot refrain from strongly suggesting some sort of clone/back-up on another external drive.

my apologies if this is already taking place...
and can you afford to lose it all, if you're not already cloning it?

I use Clonezilla and have been satisfied with it.

as always, your mileage may vary...

It's been about 6 years and we've never backed anything up... I'm so ashamed...

But, I'm planning on a raid 1 in the near future. I dream about a raid 5, but that's a bit further off. I don't know enough about that stuff yet.

How's the clone thing work?

BM