PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Headphones won't work in Jaunty

obliviousdream
June 5th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I can't get Ubuntu to read my headphones. I plug them in and it mutes the speakers, but no music comes out of the headphones. Could someone please help?

SunnyRabbiera
June 5th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Is this a laptop or desktop?
And is this a wireless headphone set?

obliviousdream
June 5th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Laptop, and it's a wired headphone set.

SunnyRabbiera
June 5th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Ah I see, well hate to say this but your headphones might not work.
The issue there would come from the sound connection that your headphones use, laptop speakers will be fine but I noticed that most of the time frontal headphone jacks dont work with ubuntu.
But to check up on this did you try to play around with your volume settings?
You can see if you can get the headphone channel up and see if it works.

obliviousdream
June 5th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I keep hearing that, but I can't find a headphone setting...

If I sound rude, I'm genually sorry. I've just been trying to fix this for a few days, and I don't want to wake my roomate up when I'm on Ubuntu, I want to stay away from Vista as much as possible.

SunnyRabbiera
June 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Well there is a headphone setting, in the volume control applet try to go to edit then to preferences.
It should pop up a window where you can select your devices, I say try all of them as it might not say "headphones"
in your setting.
But sometimes something like this is not always software related, its hardware...
But its worth a shot.

obliviousdream
June 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks. ^_^

I'm just gonna redownload Hardy though. I fixed it on that one, just can't remember how...>_>

So I'll be in for a surprise.

I think I installed this one wrong anyway...

But thanks again! ^_^

SunnyRabbiera
June 5th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I think hardy is better anyway, Jaunty relies too much on pulse.
I mean I like pulse but one can tell its issues easily.

JGD
June 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Sounds like this is a dual boot Laptop, do the jack and headphones work when you boot into Vista? Can you hear the Laptop speakers while running Jaunty? I have Jaunty running on my Laptop and the speakers and headphones work fine.The headphones (when plugged in) merely interrupt the sound card output and divert it to the headphones.