PDA

View Full Version : Ftp

The Real Dave
June 4th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Having recently freshly installed 9.04, I no longer had my favourite FTP program, Filezilla.

No bother, hop into package manager and download it. But as I was doing so, I noticed that Filezilla only had a one star rating. :confused:

Having used Filezilla since it first came out, and never having a problem with it, this suprised me.

So, what have people got against Filezilla? And whats your favourite FTP client?

Tibuda
June 4th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Nautilus

steeleyuk
June 4th, 2009, 10:18 PM
The ratings mean nothing except which applications are most used, not by their quality.

Anyway, Nautilus is pretty good as a basic FTP client. Or gFTP.

jonobr
June 4th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I think ftp's star is dimming and IM surprised its still used.

I think its simplicity keeps it going, however, the star rating does not have anything to do with how good it is- afaik

pwnst*r
June 4th, 2009, 10:34 PM
nothing wrong with Filezilla. i use it on all of my OS's. don't worry about the ratings in the package manager.

CharmyBee
June 4th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Filezilla is great. The 1-star rating just means it's not very installed by those who opt-in with the statistics for the package manager popularity gauges (there are many who are paranoid about that even for anonymous statistics)

0per4t0r
June 4th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Probably because it's not supported on i386 type computers.
I had to run the windows version thru wine to use it.

oldos2er
June 4th, 2009, 11:12 PM
And whats your favourite FTP client?
Ncftp

ghindo
June 4th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Nautilus+1. It's handy to have a built-in solution.

dragos240
June 4th, 2009, 11:34 PM
gftp for graphical, and the very simple and very easy to use cli application ftp.

Kareeser
June 4th, 2009, 11:48 PM
As I discovered recently, if you're only downloading files, and not uploading content, Firefox supports the FTP protocol with a very nice rendering of the directory tree and index file list. :)

I also use Filezilla, however. It's fairly solidly built, but it could do much better.

Last time I was on their forum, I (and about 10 other sysadmins) were complaining that Filezilla server didn't block clients based on incorrect connection attempts... so theoretically, if you had a user with a weak password, Filezilla wouldn't stop a robot from guessing the 10,000 tries required to correctly guess the user's password.

It took us months (if not years?) of complaining before he got off his butt to do it. This was back with Filezilla 2.x, though.

I think people could have added the changes to the code themselves, but seeing as he approves all of the code, it was not a high priority for him.

cariboo
June 5th, 2009, 12:03 AM
To make sure your favourite programs keep up it's star ratings, during installation enable popularity contest, or go to System-->Administration-->Synaptic Package Manager-->Settings-->Repositories-->Statistics and enable it there.