PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the Galeon or Epiphany browsers?

learningcurb
June 4th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I've noticed that while Galeon is no longer being developed, it's still getting some security updates and such. I just discovered it recently, and I find I really like it's minimalist setup as a alternative to Firefox.

Right now, Epiphany seems a bit weird to me with how it's tabs and bookmarks are managed. I was wondering if most people have switched to Epiphany or how many have stuck with Galeon.

MasterNetra
June 4th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Neither using firefox :p

Tibuda
June 4th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Epiphany gecko is main browser, but I also test the webkit version. This version is getting more usable since the last updates in the webkit team ppa.

chucky chuckaluck
June 4th, 2009, 09:35 PM
epiphany is wicked fast, but i pretty much hate everything else about it.

learningcurb
June 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM
epiphany is wicked fast, but i pretty much hate everything else about it.

What don't you like about Epiphany? My main gripe is that the bookmarks menu is a mess if you have more than 20-30 bookmarks. It is nice and fast however compared to Firefox.

binbash
June 4th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I am using Midor.When Chromium has a Flash support, i will switch to it for sure.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 4th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I was using Epiphany, then somehow I discovered Feedly and Tree-Style Tabs (mostly Feedly) so I've been converted to Firefox 3.5 for the last little while, which feels considerably lighter than 3.0.

The current Webkit Epiphany iteration (2.27) is really going strong and I think it has a lot to offer - especially in the user friendliness department. May not be the most powerful, but it is the most integrated. It puts your Downloads in the right place, it handles files using the real MIME type association specification, and it follows all the other little desktop-wide conventions like toolbar size setting and configurable menu accelerators (which I still think should be on by default).

learningcurb
June 4th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Chromium has a Flash support, i will switch to it for sure.

Chromium = Google Chrome? I thought about trying that but didn't want to mess with Wine right now.

The current Webkit Epiphany iteration (2.27) is really going strong and I think it has a lot to offer - especially in the user friendliness department. May not be the most powerful, but it is the most integrated. It puts your Downloads in the right place, it handles files using the real MIME type association specification, and it follows all the other little desktop-wide conventions like toolbar size setting and configurable menu accelerators (which I still think should be on by default).

Hmm, perhaps I will give the Webkit version a try. I like the idea of Epiphany if I can get used to or fix it's quirks in gconf. I just did a package search however and it looks like there is no Jaunty package, though there is one for 8.10 and 9.10. Strange..

pwnst*r
June 4th, 2009, 10:33 PM
google chrome in windows =P

FF in ubuntu

heroidi
June 4th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I use Epipaphy only in my resturant because the computer is an old one and it slows it down especially when i play music in it

Tibuda
June 4th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Chromium = Google Chrome? I thought about trying that but didn't want to mess with Wine right now.
Google Chrome = Chromium stable release + Google logo
There's a native Chromium alpha available in this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa

Hmm, perhaps I will give the Webkit version a try. I like the idea of Epiphany if I can get used to or fix it's quirks in gconf. I just did a package search however and it looks like there is no Jaunty package, though there is one for 8.10 and 9.10. Strange..
It's not available in Jaunty repos, but in the webkit-team PPA: https://launchpad.net/~webkit-team/+archive/ppa

t0p
June 4th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I haven't really used any browser other than firefox in ages. I especially like ff because I download and watch a lot of video, and there are some great add-ons available in ff for this kind of stuff.

But I've just installed jaunty netbook remix to my eeepc 701, and firefox feels too fat and heavy to use in that environment. I've noted what has been said about epiphany in this thread, and think I'm going to try it. In fact I'm gonna try it right now!!

Vostrocity
June 4th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Sorry I absolutely hate Epiphany. I use Firefox as my main browser, Galeon as my default, and Opera as my backup.

SomeGuyDude
June 4th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I just remember Epiphany being this giant fat mess. Haven't used it in forever.

SLEEPER_V
June 4th, 2009, 11:35 PM
other. FF 3.5 BLAZES.

nitehawk777
June 4th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Been using Epiphany mostly. But then,..I do like the Flashblock in FF. Looking for something else, though.

pricetech
June 5th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Epiphany - Ubuntu forums
Firefox - Miscellaneous Browsing
Galeon - hotmail
Netsurf - stupid.com (just to check connectivity)
Opera - OperaMail
SeaMonkey - youtube

pwnst*r
June 5th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Epiphany - Ubuntu forums
Firefox - Miscellaneous Browsing
Galeon - hotmail
Netsurf - stupid.com (just to check connectivity)
Opera - OperaMail
SeaMonkey - youtube

wow, that's ridiculous.

unknownPoster
June 5th, 2009, 04:55 AM
lol @ "lightweight"

Dillo, links, elinks, etc...those are lightweight.

chucky chuckaluck
June 5th, 2009, 09:28 AM
What don't you like about Epiphany? My main gripe is that the bookmarks menu is a mess if you have more than 20-30 bookmarks. It is nice and fast however compared to Firefox.

hate the bookmarks, hate the history, hate the toolbars, hate the name, etc.

HappinessNow
June 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Opera and Firefox mainly

Google Chrome in Windows.

Sometimes Safari in Apple.

kuja
June 5th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I like Arora when I'm in the mood for a lightweight browser, otherwise I use Opera. Arora is getting pretty good.

steeleyuk
June 5th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I have Epiphany (both Gecko and Webkit) installed, much quicker than Firefox for me. Though, I don't use it very often. Usually give it a whirl when an update comes in.

I might see where Midori is up to as well, had that installed on Intrepid from the PPA but hadn't bothered installing on Jaunty.

Edit: Midori has got a Speed Dial feature now. Looking good all round.

super.rad
June 5th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Using Arora on my arch install (kde) and epiphany-webkit on ubuntu karmic. It's getting a lot more stable now and much faster than firefox (also uses loads less ram), currently testing Google Chrome development version (which is just the chromium browser with there logo and name)

JanDM
June 5th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Chromium (and Firefox) here.

Last time I tried Epiphany it didnt support Ctrl-Enter in the address bar (type google, then ctrl-enter will automatically go to www.google.com). Any browser not supporting that feature is unusable for me.

RiceMonster
June 5th, 2009, 01:51 PM
No browser has come even close to replacing firefox for me. I use it on Linux, Windows and Mac.

derma
June 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Midori.

gnomeuser
June 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I use and love Epiphany, this post is done from Epiphany-webkit which is shaping up very nicely.

I still want the process separation that Chrome has though, for security and stability. I know there was one guy interested in doing that work but I don't know if it is coming along.