PDA

View Full Version : are there any good tasting non-alcoholic beers?

logos34
June 3rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
I don't drink anymore, but I still crave beer. One is fine, but it always leads to two beers, and that slows me down.

I've only seen one brand of non-alc beer, 'carlsberg; or something. Tasted it years ago.. Not very good. Any really good ones?

There is no substitute for a cold beer with pizza or a deli sandwich (well, veggie deli, nowadays)

cider and root beer just don't cut it (sweet)

mofrikaantje
June 3rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
I never drink beer (almost never alcohol, hah) and a good, cold plain Coca Cola (no light stuff) does the trick with me.

lindsay7
June 3rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
My favs are St. Pauli Girl and Becks.

dragos240
June 3rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
I don't know if there is a good NON alcoholic beer, but I've heard of an open source beer called "free beer" which sounds so cewl. I'm 14 anyways.

lisati
June 3rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
I thought "free beer' was the name of the band playing at the pub and that non-alcoholic beer is a contradiction in terms!

I haven't had a beer for several years, but can appreciate the desire for one, then one more, then "only" one more.......

Good luck!

logos34

but non-alcoholic?

(used to drink regular becks all the time)

EDIT: nm, you're right, I see it now I've googled (http://www.stpauligirl.com/beer.php) it. Thanx

0per4t0r
My dad always like O'Doul's, but this page might help you: http://www.tobp.com/review/nabrews.asp

earthpigg
June 3rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
o'doulls

pwnst*r
June 3rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
but non-alcoholic?

(used to drink regular becks all the time)

yep they exist :)

I never drink beer (almost never alcohol, hah) and a good, cold plain Coca Cola (no light stuff) does the trick with me.

awesome reply.

dragos240
June 3rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
I thought "free beer' was the name of the band playing at the pub and that non-alcoholic beer is a contradiction in terms!

I haven't had a beer for several years, but can appreciate the desire for one, then one more, then "only" one more.......

Good luck!

See this link, http://blog.petermolgaard.com/2009/04/05/free-beer-first-open-source-beer/

mofrikaantje
June 3rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
I realised how stupid it was AFTER I clicked "Submit Reply". Sorry ](*,)

pwnst*r
June 3rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
lol

mjitkop
June 3rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
o'doulls

+1 :p

I do not drink alcohol. One day I was eating at the Outback Steakhouse with my family and decided to look for something different to drink other than a soda. I noticed they had a non-alcoholic beer: O'Doul's. Had one and enjoyed it much. Now that's what I drink when I go back there. :D

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
All lager tastes like ****. Stella is the best ****. Why on earth would you want to drink something so foul if it doesn't even make you drunk?

logos34
June 3rd, 2009, 09:54 PM
+1 :p

I do not drink alcohol. One day I was eating at the Outback Steakhouse with my family and decided to look for something different to drink other than a soda. I noticed they had a non-alcoholic beer: O'Doul's. Had one and enjoyed it much. Now that's what I drink when I go back there. :D

ok, great, so far I have three on my shopping list to try

logos34
June 3rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
All lager tastes like ****. Stella is the best ****. Why on earth would you want to drink something so foul if it doesn't even make you drunk?

nah, there are plenty of good lagers and pilsners...personally never was inclined toward dark ale or stout

mjitkop
June 3rd, 2009, 09:57 PM

It's a question of personal taste. You say it tastes like **** but I can't say if it's true because personally I have never drunk ****. :lolflag:

As for getting drunk, I don't feel the need to get drunk. ;)

meeples
June 3rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
beer is just liquid bread ;)

i drink magners or bulmers pear cider. much more refreshing. and it actually tastes good.

benj1
June 3rd, 2009, 10:01 PM

you do realise cider has alcohol in ?

not all, belgium do some nice lagers, its just the big brands that are crap.

anyway, i think no-alcohol beer is like caffeine free coffee, once you know it doesn't have alcohol/caffeine in it just doesn't taste the same.

benj1
June 3rd, 2009, 10:04 PM

i drink magners or bulmers pear cider. much more refreshing. and it actually tastes good.

and another thing why has perry been rebranded 'pear cider'?

logos34
June 3rd, 2009, 10:05 PM

yeah, I've had some good ciders...there's gobs of different brands...And you're right, they;re very refreshing...Maybe I can find a nice dry one that will take the place of beer. Or maybe a light pale ale

logos34
June 3rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
you do realise cider has alcohol in ?

yep, but it usually slightly less (what i've seen)

anyway, i think no-alcohol beer is like caffeine free coffee, once you know it doesn't have alcohol/caffeine in it just doesn't taste the same.

right, but it's all in your head. can't tell the diff taste-wise. Decaf coffee is fine, it's the only way I can drink coffee after the first cup

sn0m
June 3rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
mate german ones, at least in uk are fine. There are some indians ones, rubish.

Mateo
June 3rd, 2009, 10:27 PM
you should try "Whatsthepoint Stout".

Fzang
June 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
I wish I could drink beer, but I can't. No matter what, my tastebuds simply won't accept the.... disgusting... taste of beer.

Lol :O

MikeTheC
June 3rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
I don't drink anymore, but I still crave beer. One is fine, but it always leads to two beers, and that slows me down.

I've only seen one brand of non-alc beer, 'carlsberg; or something. Tasted it years ago.. Not very good. Any really good ones?

There is no substitute for a cold beer with pizza or a deli sandwich (well, veggie deli, nowadays)

Well, see, it's kind of like... have you ever successfully divided by zero?

dragos240
June 3rd, 2009, 10:54 PM

Chuck Norris has.

issih
June 3rd, 2009, 11:00 PM
Hmmn, the completely non alcoholic ones that I can stand are cobra zero and bitburger drive. The bitburger is closest to an actual beer, the cobra (like most non alcoholic ones) is too sweet, but has its own distinctive flavour which works better with the sweetness than most do.

I've tried becks, kaliber and so on and they are alright, but mostly tasteless imo.

I've not found a single 0.5% one that I like, although I had a nice ish erdinger one recently and I can't remember the exact strength of that,

Generally I've settled on the 2 - 2.5% range as a compromise, where I drink carlsberg c2, carlsberg mid strength and magners mid strength, all of which are not as bad as you;d expect.

I miss real beer, but I'm better off not drinking it (most of the time :))

RiceMonster
June 3rd, 2009, 11:25 PM
I had non-alcoholic beer once and hated it. Never again.

MikeTheC
June 3rd, 2009, 11:34 PM
Chuck Norris has.
Well, yeah I know Chuck Norris has. But I'll best logos34 hasn't.

logos34
June 3rd, 2009, 11:40 PM
Well, yeah I know Chuck Norris has. But I'll best logos34 hasn't.

you mean it's not possible to divide by 0?

Simian Man
June 3rd, 2009, 11:43 PM
No beer and no meat? Poor thing :(.

lisati
June 3rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
I had non-alcoholic beer once and hated it. Never again.

Ditto....

Daremo_06
June 3rd, 2009, 11:50 PM

+1

Chuck Norris has.

+10!

I lol'ed for real on both of these...

smbtol
June 3rd, 2009, 11:54 PM

I entirely agree. These two are my favourites too.

logos34
June 4th, 2009, 12:02 AM
No beer and no meat? Poor thing :(.

other than chicken (and real beer) don't miss a thing...

gnomeuser
June 4th, 2009, 12:07 AM
No, it simply seems impossible. Additionally there are no so called light beers either.

If something non-alcoholic is desired, might I recommend water.

MikeTheC
June 4th, 2009, 05:39 AM
No, it simply seems impossible. Additionally there are no so called light beers either.

If something non-alcoholic is desired, might I recommend water.

Right on, boss. Well, that or iced tea, no sugar.

"3, 2, 1, ignition... full thrust."

Faolan84
June 4th, 2009, 06:42 AM
My drinks of choice are tea and coffee of various types. I'm not big on beer or getting drunk (I don't enjoy drunk). I do however drink a beer with my pizza, deli sandwich, or even a bowl of spegghetti. I also found a nice glass of port of vermouth is great with dinner.

MikeTheC
June 4th, 2009, 07:20 AM
My drinks of choice are tea and coffee of various types. I'm not big on beer or getting drunk (I don't enjoy drunk). I do however drink a beer with my pizza, deli sandwich, or even a bowl of spegghetti. I also found a nice glass of port of vermouth is great with dinner.
That's "spaghetti" btw... :)

Same here. I've been falling-down drunk three times in my life, and none of them have been what you'd call "pleasant" experiences. Most of the time I may have a glass (two, max) of beer with a pizza or other such food.

But I really don't drink all that much. I've had a fifth (or whatever it was) of Jack last me like two-and-a-half years. Heck, I've been known to half-finish shots of scotch I've poured myself. I'm not afraid of booze, but I have to be in the mood, for one.

SLEEPER_V
June 4th, 2009, 09:41 AM
good tasting non alcoholic beer? those phrases are mutually exclusive. They cant exist simultaniously.

capnthommo
June 4th, 2009, 10:04 AM
hi logos, no there aren't.
and as a real ale lover i personally believe that they should be dark, bitter, not too cold adn that there should be a squillion varieties each with a different taste.
but then isn't that what we are all about? choice?
i hope you find one, but i have never really discovered a suitable sub - there's always something wrong taste-wise.
cheers
nigel(hic)

gn2
June 4th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I don't drink anymore, but I still crave beer.

Me too and I stopped twenty six years ago.

You'll get used to it in time.

The Real Dave
June 4th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Becks is probably the most paletable =S

gnomeuser
June 4th, 2009, 10:51 AM
good tasting non alcoholic beer? those phrases are mutually exclusive. They cant exist simultaniously.

Schrödinger' beer? It randomly changes state between being tasty and alcohol-free, once you open the bottle one waveform collapses and only one option remains.. hope for tasty.

MikeTheC
June 4th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Schrödinger' beer? It randomly changes state between being tasty and alcohol-free, once you open the bottle one waveform collapses and only one option remains.. hope for tasty.
+1 for the Schrödinger reference

Oh. Emm. Gee.

Plumtreed
June 4th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Simple answer, nope! Has to be alcoholic to be beer, if it's not alcoholic, it's not beer.

Wine is the same. It is the process that makes it wine and, incidently, alcoholic. That is why it tastes so special.

issih
June 4th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Actually most non alcoholic beers are made by fermenting the sugar as in making normal beer, then the alcohol is removed. Therefore..in theory.. you should get something that tastes of beer, but lacks the bite of the alcohol. Doesn't always work out like that though

forrestcupp
June 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I don't know if there is a good NON alcoholic beer, but I've heard of an open source beer called "free beer" which sounds so cewl. I'm 14 anyways.How can beer be open source? It's not made out of source code; it's made with real life, tangible ingredients. If they're really that crazy about it, a better description would be open content (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_content).

hi logos, no there aren't.
and as a real ale lover i personally believe that they should be dark, bitter, not too cold adn that there should be a squillion varieties each with a different taste.
That's the difference between the UK and the US. Over hear, they like it light and ice cold.

chucky chuckaluck
June 4th, 2009, 03:06 PM
i kind of liked texas select the last time i had it. you could probably find it at some dirt shop, like whole foods, if it's still being made. on the whole, i'd rather be a hopeless drunk.