View Full Version : [ubuntu] updates and compiz

June 3rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
I managed to get compiz working properly as since the upgrade to jaunty the only way I could get it to work was by getting the compiz-fusion icon and using it to reload the window manager,every time I logged on which was a pain.So when I read on a post I could add a software repository from Launchpad which would have a bugfix for the Intel graphics driver I thought great,but for some reason couldnt get the authentification key to install.Never mind,I thought,I'll try and see if the package manager will still upgrade the new packages,and it did,with a lot of warnings about unauthenticated repositories.so I downloaded them anyway[loads of them there were as well!]But after restarting nothing seemed to happen.so after puzzling for a bit I went to software sources and ticked proposed updates[jaunty-proposed] to see what would happen.WhenI checked with update manager there were loads of packages which I duly downloaded,was told this time to restart,and lo and behold when I opened appearance and looked at visual effects I was able to enable extra which I couldnt since upgrading.My questions after all this are 1. what exactly are proposed updates? 2.Would it have been the Launchpad repository or the proposed updates that fixed compiz? I got rid of the launchpad addition afterwards as it didnt seem to work and updates kept telling me there was a problem with it.Yet synaptic let me download all those packages.3.Am I doing anything really stupid?Sorry about this ramble but I am sort of groping round in the dark with linux, doing the best I can,so any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

June 4th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I tried the "proposed updates", but kept getting things messed up, so I unchecked it. I think most of it has to do with making sure that in software sources, the first four boxes are checked, and that linux-restricted-modules is installed. :p