PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NVidia settings won't stick

groeswenphil
June 3rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
Hi,
Just upgraded to 9.04. Everthing works except for one small irritation.
Upon startup, the screen resolution is set too low.
So, I go to System>Preferences>display and up pops a window that says,"It appears that your graphics driver does not support the necessary extensions to use this tool. Do you want to use your graphic driver vendor's tool instead............so I click yes even though I'm wary of using anybody else's tool.
Up pops the NVidia Xserver window.
It's easy to set the correct resolution and then the screen becomes wonderfully usable.
When I click on Save to XConfiguration file it tells me that it is unable to remove the old XConfig file.
I'm expecting that I might need a spanner to do that?

Any ideas?

Phil

nengracia
June 3rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Same here.

On reboot, it just keeps getting back to its low-res state.

Anyone???

nandemonai
June 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
In Gnome:

Alt-f2 to bring up a run prompt.

gksudo nvidia-settings

NightwishFan
June 3rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
No, it does not need root.

If you are running GNOME, go to preferences -> Sessions, or if not it is something like Started Applications. Add an entry with this being the command.

/usr/bin/nvidia-settings -l

If you are running KDE, go to the system settings, advanced, autostarted apps, and add a similar entry.

The -l is important.

The Nvidia settings needs to be run as your user, running as root will cause it to work for the user root. Autostarting it when you log in should cause it to take effect before all OpenGL applications.

groeswenphil
June 3rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
Solved..........easily.
Where it says "It appears that your graphics driver does not support the necessary extensions to use this tool. Do you want to use your graphic driver vendor's tool instead..
Pick NO.......and a window pops up that lets you set your screen resolution. And this time it came back perfectly after shut down.
Thanks,
Phil

nandemonai
June 3rd, 2009, 10:12 PM
No, it does not need root.

If you are running GNOME, go to preferences -> Sessions, or if not it is something like Started Applications. Add an entry with this being the command.

/usr/bin/nvidia-settings -l

If you are running KDE, go to the system settings, advanced, autostarted apps, and add a similar entry.

The -l is important.

The Nvidia settings needs to be run as your user, running as root will cause it to work for the user root. Autostarting it when you log in should cause it to take effect before all OpenGL applications.

Aha! Thanks for clearing that up. Another Nvidia trick to put up the sleeve. I was assuming root was needed in order to save the wanted config to xorg.conf.

-l, --load-config-only
Load the configuration file, send the values specified therein to the X server, and exit. This mode of operation is useful to
place in your .xinitrc file, for example.

nandemonai
June 3rd, 2009, 10:12 PM
Solved..........easily.
Where it says "It appears that your graphics driver does not support the necessary extensions to use this tool. Do you want to use your graphic driver vendor's tool instead..
Pick NO.......and a window pops up that lets you set your screen resolution. And this time it came back perfectly after shut down.
Thanks,
Phil

Glad you got it working.

NightwishFan
June 5th, 2009, 06:28 PM
There is a way to get it to autostart with the xorg.conf I believe, perhaps that xinit file they mention. My way works well enough for me.

Also, if you use a WM, such as fluxbox, they normally have their own autostart configuration file to add the command in.