PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem yet to be solved: Grub Loading

Reckers
June 3rd, 2009, 04:20 AM
No one has yet to solve this problem, and after attempting myself, I'm stumped.

Whenever I shut down my computer cold, it takes three tries to get past "Grub Loading Stage 1.5." What I mean by that is I shut it down, then later restart it, get to that point, and freeze. Shut down, restart, freeze. Shut down, restart, works.

This is beyond annoying.

I just put in a new hard drive, so I know it isn't that because I had this problem before. I also just created a new Live CD, and reinstalled Ubuntu through that, still no luck.

I skimmed through that new Ubuntu Pocket Guide, which looks great, and on page 17, page 35 on the PDF, it says:

"When installation has finished, you’ll be prompted to install the GRUB boot loader. Select YES and hit Enter. Once this is done, reboot the computer when prompted."

I never receive that prompting. Could that be the problem?

Thanks to anyone's help. This could be a challenge for ya.

Nixie Pixel
June 3rd, 2009, 04:52 AM
From what you are saying I suggest looking at and testing your hardware first. What kind of hard drive did you install?

lavinog
June 3rd, 2009, 04:53 AM
It seems odd that grub would freeze, unless there is a hardware fault.
Since you had this problem before with a different drive, could your cpu be overheating?
Can you give us some specifics about your setup? (cpu, motherboard, harddrive)

The fact that it works after a couple of tries is odd too.

Reckers
June 3rd, 2009, 04:59 AM
I installed a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB Hard Drive, and I would agree right now it seems to be running hot, but this three times is the charm starting pattern occurs when my computer has been turned for for hours as well.

I'm not sure what you want to know about my setup. I can tell you I have a Toshiba Satellite M200, and according to System Properties, I have a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU Processor, 2 GB of RAM, and a 32-bit OS. Tell me where else to look for any other necessary information and I will do so quickly.

Thanks again.

lavinog
June 3rd, 2009, 05:25 AM
When grub hangs, can you do a ctrl-alt-del to reboot?

Also you may want to try and reinstall grub, in case there was an issue with the installation: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

Are you dual booting into windows at all?

Reckers
June 3rd, 2009, 05:28 AM
ctrl-atl-del to reboot huh?

i'll look into reinstalling grub tomorrow afternoon.

i dual boot into windows about 50% of the time yes.

Reckers
June 4th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I tried to reinstall grub as that link suggested. Seemed to work successfully, but the problem still persists as before.

LewRockwell
June 4th, 2009, 12:24 AM
is booting and running from the Ubuntu 9.04 live-run CD working properly?

Reckers
June 4th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I think I'm running off of an 8.04 Live CD. I know its Hardy Heron, that is 8.04, right?

And yeah, it starts up just fine whenever I boot from the cd. And then I run off of the Live CD "without making changes to my computer", and it works fine. I used that to try reinstalling grub as previously mentioned, to no avial.

lavinog
June 4th, 2009, 05:24 AM
What version of ubuntu did you first install grub with?
also pressing ctrl-alt-delete should reboot your computer when grub is loading. After ubuntu is loaded, its behavior is modified.
Being able to reboot this way should give some more insight to if grub is hanging or if the whole system crashed.