View Full Version : [all variants] Splash screen reverts to text after 2 seconds

June 3rd, 2009, 03:39 AM

After resizing my swap and main partitions and then when booting up, the splash screen appears for 2 seconds then disappears and I get the text based loading sequence which appears during recovery boot mode. (*Reading files needed to boot...)

It doesn't really affect anything, in fact, it seems to boot faster. However I am just wondering how and why this happened, and if there is a way to get it back to the original behavior.

Nixie Pixel
June 3rd, 2009, 05:00 AM
Please check /boot/grub/menu.lst and post the entry you are concerned about here.

It should look something like this:

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-10-generic
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/sda5 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic

The "kernel" line above contains "quiet" (which hides the text during boot) and "splash" (logs in through the splash screen). You may not have "quiet," it seems.

June 3rd, 2009, 05:04 AM
i had this problem (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1167553) after changing my swap partion , i think it is because the uuid of a partion changes whenever you format/edit it. here is how i solved it :
I Ran the command "sudo blkid" which told me the uuids of my partitions.
I then ran "sudo gedit /etc/fstab" and made sure everything was correct in there.
Next I made sure the uuid in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume ("sudo gedit /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume") was the same as the swap uuid.
After i had corrected those files i updated the initramfs ("sudo update-initramfs -u") and then restarted and presto all was fixed.

June 3rd, 2009, 08:13 AM
First of all, Nixie, I can't believe you replied to my post. I just found out about your YouTube channel a few days ago :D. I already checked menu.lst and it was ok. Btw, keep posting those nice vids about Ubuntu/GNU/Linux.

pspsampsp, I tried your fix, and it worked :D. When I edited the swap partition size, it wasn't mounting, so I edited fstab. So now it's obvious the problem is with initramfs resume. I was wondering though, what's the advantage of using the UUID in fstab? Why not just use /dev/<partition> by default?

Thanks to you both for your help.