PDA

View Full Version : Vista Service Pack 2 Update - OMG!!!

akakingess
June 3rd, 2009, 03:28 AM
I can not believe that I just had to waste an hour and one-half of my life downloading and installing a SERVICE PACK. Yes, I decided to make sure my Vista was up-to-date and had only 1 update to do. It turns out it was SP2 and it was ---wait for it---- 383.9 MB!!!!!! That's the size of an OS is some dimensions, and this was just a service pack. I have now decided that my kids are going to be raised in the world of linux (Ubuntu to start, naturally) and that every computer in the house (5 at this time) are going to be 100% linux by this year's end if not sooner. That just blows my mind that an update can have to be that large, and just goes to show you how much Microsoft has to fix, and I gurantee that not even half of their holes have been plugged even with that massive update. Sorry to vent on ya'll, but what I just went through for a simple system update is the straw that broke the camel'\s back. I am going to take it as a blessing in disguise, as it shows me truely how bloated and out-of-date Windows is and always will be behind the curve. Thanks for listening....

akakingess

swoll1980
June 3rd, 2009, 03:32 AM
I've had Ubuntu updates that have rivalled that.

HappyFeet
June 3rd, 2009, 03:35 AM
I know the feeling. I installed vista SP1 for someone a while back, and it took forever. I could have installed ubuntu 3 times over in that amount of time. I NEVER look forward to helping someone with their windows machines. Thank god I'm basically windows free on my pc's. (I have a gaming only pc with xp that never goes online, therefore, never gets bogged down)

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 03:36 AM
You should try running a rolling release distro. My last Debian Lenny (now Squeeze) update was over 1200mb.

HappyFeet
June 3rd, 2009, 03:36 AM

I've been lucky with my ubuntu updates. I've never had a problem.

Giant Speck
June 3rd, 2009, 03:37 AM
You poor thing. Would you like someone to kiss your brain boo-boo?

Wiebelhaus
June 3rd, 2009, 03:37 AM

No you haven't.

akakingess , yea man do you see any difference anywhere? , Ohh yea! "Supposedly" they fixed the hibernation problem that's existed since 2001 in NT. But that remains to be seen.

juancarlospaco
June 3rd, 2009, 03:41 AM
Yeah,
...and the new XP mode on Windows 7, its a separated download,
just MS Virtual PC + Win XP (and very large too) all in the same package,
for Virtualization enabled Processors only,
and they say that's revolutionary and cutting edge technology.

The same Filesystem, the same Kernel, just a new bar on a bloated GUI.

HappyFeet
June 3rd, 2009, 03:43 AM
Yeah,
...and the new XP mode on Windows 7, its a separated download,
just MS Virtual PC + Win XP (and very large too) all in the same package,
for Virtualization enabled Processors only,
and they say that's revolutionary and cutting edge technology.

:s

:lolflag:

swoll1980
June 3rd, 2009, 03:44 AM
No you haven't.

Install Ubuntu midcycle, and you will know what I'm talking about.

Polygon
June 3rd, 2009, 03:47 AM
still, even then. What did this service pack give us? bluray support, and some random wireless and bluetooth and other misc fixes. Installing ubuntu midcycle, a TON of things were fixed. Unless MS is not telling us 90% of what was fixed.....

Wiebelhaus
June 3rd, 2009, 03:48 AM
Install Ubuntu midcycle, and you will know what I'm talking about.

That's not a singular update , that's a new installation from an old disc.
Now A rolling OS would be a different story.

C!oud
June 3rd, 2009, 03:50 AM
My Arch install regularly has over 300 MB of updates as well as my FreeBSD install depending on when I did the my last portsnap.

SomeGuyDude
June 3rd, 2009, 03:53 AM
No you haven't.

akakingess , yea man do you see any difference anywhere? , Ohh yea! "Supposedly" they fixed the hibernation problem that's existed since 2001 in NT. But that remains to be seen.

I absolutely have. See what happens if you put Ubuntu fresh installed on a machine about three or four months into a release then run "apt-get update". I've had those buggers going near 400MB before.

xArv3nx
June 3rd, 2009, 03:55 AM
I absolutely have. See what happens if you put Ubuntu fresh installed on a machine about three or four months into a release then run "apt-get update". I've had those buggers going near 400MB before.
True.

10.5.6 to 10.5.7 on Mac OS X Leopard is well over 400mb. :D

akakingess
June 3rd, 2009, 03:56 AM
I just know that i downloaded, burned, and installed Jaunty in about the same amount of time as that service pack took, I didn't mean to start any arguments, i was just appalled at the size of that upate. What does microsoft expect people to do that aren't lucky enough to work for the cable company and have massive bandwidth at my disposal. Good lord, imagine someone on dial up or even a cheap version of dsl.;)

juancarlospaco
June 3rd, 2009, 03:57 AM
Some features present in development versions of Ubuntu are not present on final versions.

Example:
an application called Notification configuration in system--->preferences
allow you to change the position on the screen of NotifyOSD pop ups, dont exist anymore.

Wiebelhaus
June 3rd, 2009, 03:57 AM

Yea yea! I'm talking about a singular update , But IF this is a roll up , then it's good because it will cut down on the amount of work needed after a fresh install of Vista.

By the way , your forum handle is awesome.

xArv3nx
June 3rd, 2009, 03:58 AM
Yea yea! I'm talking about a singular update , But IF this is a roll up , then it's good because it will cut down on the amount of work needed after a fresh install of Vista.

What the hell is a singular update?

10.5.7 Combo Update: 729 MB.
10.5.7 Delta Update: 442 MB.

Wiebelhaus
June 3rd, 2009, 03:58 AM
I just know that i downloaded, burned, and installed Jaunty in about the same amount of time as that service pack took, I didn't mean to start any arguments, i was just appalled at the size of that upate. What does microsoft expect people to do that aren't lucky enough to work for the cable company and have massive bandwidth at my disposal. Good lord, imagine someone on dial up or even a cheap version of dsl.;)

Yea , they don't do it , or they bring into a shop after it catches the newest revision of Zlob (PAV) and have them do it.

HappyFeet
June 3rd, 2009, 03:59 AM

Maybe so, but it still updates MUCH faster than on windows.

SomeGuyDude
June 3rd, 2009, 04:00 AM

Well that's the thing. We're used to Linux-style updates that happen constantly. I have an update script in Arch that tells me updates in real time because dangit I need everything FRESH AS CAN BE.

Windows users might go, oh, a year without doing any major updates save security patches (since I believe that's all Windows does without prompting). Imagine if you installed Hardy and never updated it until now.

And thank ya sir. :KS

pwnst*r
June 3rd, 2009, 04:01 AM
I can not believe that I just had to waste an hour and one-half of my life downloading and installing a SERVICE PACK. Yes, I decided to make sure my Vista was up-to-date and had only 1 update to do. It turns out it was SP2 and it was ---wait for it---- 383.9 MB!!!!!! That's the size of an OS is some dimensions, and this was just a service pack. I have now decided that my kids are going to be raised in the world of linux (Ubuntu to start, naturally) and that every computer in the house (5 at this time) are going to be 100% linux by this year's end if not sooner. That just blows my mind that an update can have to be that large, and just goes to show you how much Microsoft has to fix, and I gurantee that not even half of their holes have been plugged even with that massive update. Sorry to vent on ya'll, but what I just went through for a simple system update is the straw that broke the camel'\s back. I am going to take it as a blessing in disguise, as it shows me truely how bloated and out-of-date Windows is and always will be behind the curve. Thanks for listening....

akakingess

it's a service pack, ffs. and 1.5 hours? get a real connection.

mikeize
At least with a 300Mb Ubuntu update, you have included all available updates to every bit of 3rd party software installed via synaptic/apt-get on your machine. Does your Windows update do that?

pwnst*r
Maybe so, but it still updates MUCH faster than on windows.

wrong.

akakingess
June 3rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
Yeah, but I update Vista at least weekly, and this is just one update, imagine if I had let it go for months with no updates, i could see it being 800 MB easily - LOL.

pwnst*r
June 3rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
At least with a 300Mb Ubuntu update, you have included all available updates to every bit of 3rd party software installed via synaptic/apt-get on your machine. Does your Windows update do that?

why should it?

starcannon
June 3rd, 2009, 04:05 AM
why should it?
Because sometimes the security holes are in the third party software. *POINTS* at Flash.

Keithhed
June 3rd, 2009, 04:07 AM
just checked my laptop because of the post, i need 4 "important" updates totalling 347.5 MB and 7 optional updates as well

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 04:07 AM
Try installing Windows XP without the service packs, and then see how long it takes to get through all of the updates. More than a few hours, I'm guessing. Actually, no, don't do that, because your computer will become part of a botnet before all of the security updates have finished downloading. And it's not really a fair comparision as there have been eight years of updates for XP. But the point is an out-of-date OS will always take a long time to update. Ubuntu is no exception.

akakingess
June 3rd, 2009, 04:10 AM
it's a service pack, ffs. and 1.5 hours? get a real connection.
I was counting download time, plus restart, install part 1, restart, install part 2, restart, and yes install part 3 and restart yet again. I am sorry that I only have a 12Mbps connection. I will work on that for ya.

mikeize
June 3rd, 2009, 04:10 AM
why should it?

not saying it *should*, just saying since we're comparing update sizes, I think it's only fair to mention the fact that Ubuntu updates include updates to 3rd party software as well. You get "more bang for your bytes", so to speak. ;)

eldragon
June 3rd, 2009, 04:12 AM
ubuntu updates every 6 monthes makes vista sp2 look like a floppy disk download

MikeTheC
June 3rd, 2009, 04:13 AM
You poor thing. Would you like someone to kiss your brain boo-boo?

+1... srsly...

pwnst*r
June 3rd, 2009, 04:13 AM
I was counting download time, plus restart, install part 1, restart, install part 2, restart, and yes install part 3 and restart yet again. I am sorry that I only have a 12Mbps connection. I will work on that for ya.

mine restarted ONCE. i believe the first two installs happened just before shutdown and the last just after startup.

sounds like yours is wrong.

Giant Speck
June 3rd, 2009, 04:17 AM
Mine only restarted once.

It downloaded the necessary files and then started the shutdown sequence. While shutting down, it configured all three parts of the installation and then when the computer restarted, it installed all three parts and brought me to the login window.

akakingess
June 3rd, 2009, 04:22 AM
mine restarted ONCE. i believe the first two installs happened just before shutdown and the last just after startup.

sounds like yours is wrong.
Are you taking this personally, i apologize for the exaggerations, but mine did have to restart twice, that I know, I was just trying to point out that it didn't take 1.5 hours just for the download. I started this thread just to show how much more it makes me like Ubuntu as those updates seem relatively quick compared to a windows update, and I especially like the community here which is always very helpful as well, I am sorry I have offended you so PWNStar. Take a pill.

pwnst*r
June 3rd, 2009, 04:23 AM
Are you taking this personally, i apologize for the exaggerations, but mine did have to restart twice, that I know, I was just trying to point out that it didn't take 1.5 hours just for the download. I started this thread just to show how much more it makes me like Ubuntu as those updates seem relatively quick compared to a windows update, and I especially like the community here which is always very helpful as well, I am sorry I have offended you so PWNStar. Take a pill.

so what happened to the other two restarts?

xArv3nx
June 3rd, 2009, 04:27 AM
It sounds like you are installing SP1, not SP2. My SP1 took a very long time, too (despite being only 90mb of downloads), as well as two reboots. SP2 took one reboot and a 300mb download, but it installed considerably faster. (talking about 10-20 minutes including the download).

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 04:27 AM
Defending Windows Update is all well and good. Updates are important, after all. They're not that bad. But I don't think anyone is seriously attempting to argue that Windows updates are in any way superior to Ubuntu updates. That's an argument not even the trolliest of trolls can make with a straight face. Still nobody likes exaggeration and hyperbole.

pwnst*r
June 3rd, 2009, 04:28 AM
and lol @ taking it personally. i call out threads like yours because of your exaggerations and sensationalism. how is that taking it personally? obviously you have a big beef with Vista and/or MS, so why bother using it?

and because the SP was so "big" that's enough to totally convert to linux? are you sure you really thought this thing through?

akakingess
June 3rd, 2009, 04:29 AM
so what happened to the other two restarts?
I had originally said that it had to restart 3 times, and mine actually only had to restart 2 times, why 2 instead of 1 as with everyone else maybe there is something wrong with my configuration, maybe because I am on a laptop, I do not know, I am not a computer expert, and again I was just trying to point out how much more it made me appreciate Ubuntu.

pwnst*r
June 3rd, 2009, 04:30 AM
you may have originally said 3, but then you changed it to 4.

akakingess
June 3rd, 2009, 04:41 AM
and lol @ taking it personally. i call out threads like yours because of your exaggerations and sensationalism. how is that taking it personally? obviously you have a big beef with Vista and/or MS, so why bother using it?

and because the SP was so "big" that's enough to totally convert to linux? are you sure you really thought this thing through?
I am not a windows hater at all, like I said I have used it on all of my computers and have not had that many problems with it, I keep them up to date, etc., but then I was turned onto Ubuntu and have seen the other side and it shows me that there is a lot out there to learn, and like i said, that huge "update" was just the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. I have never had a windows update that was that large, especially for 1 update. I don't see how you are calling me out, because I know what I just had to do to update my Vista on this very laptop and was complimenting Ubuntu at the same time. What are you calling me out on? And is that what you hang around on the forums to do, do you help answer any questions, or just wait to rant on a noobie that just wants to show how much he has noticed the difference finally between to OSs? I read the forums all day to learn and try to contribute when I can (which is rarely since I am so new to Ubuntu) but thank you for making me realize that maybe not this whole community is out to help, but rather swoop in and rant on someone. On that note, I am finally signing off, sorry if I offended anyone, no I don't need any kisses for my brain boo boos or whatever, and sorry I was trying so hard to show my appreciation for the alternative OS out there in the world. Maybe I should stick to windows, just in case I say something wrong in this forum and get jumped again.

akakingess
June 3rd, 2009, 04:43 AM
you may have originally said 3, but then you changed it to 4.
Terribly sorry for the typo....

pwnst*r
June 3rd, 2009, 04:44 AM
What are you calling me out on? And is that what you hang around on the forums to do, do you help answer any questions, or just wait to rant on a noobie that just wants to show how much he has noticed the difference finally between to OSs?

you seriously need to re-read my responses. i addressed both of those questions.

HappyFeet
June 3rd, 2009, 05:03 AM
Well that's the thing. We're used to Linux-style updates that happen constantly. I have an update script in Arch that tells me updates in real time because dangit I need everything FRESH AS CAN BE.

Windows users might go, oh, a year without doing any major updates save security patches (since I believe that's all Windows does without prompting). Imagine if you installed Hardy and never updated it until now.

And thank ya sir. :KS

I've done ubuntu updates 5 months after release, and it still was less painful than doing a "routine" update in windows. Nothing is routine in windows. I installed XP tonight for someone, and had a couple problems. Nothing is perfect.