PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Goodbye Vista

Anybloodyid
June 2nd, 2009, 09:43 PM
Hi

I installed Ubuntu as a duel boot with vista by dividing the hard drive in to two equal parts.
I then made a mistake and now vista will not boot but as ubuntu is doing everything I want it to I've decided to dump vista altogether.
How do I do this so that ubuntu has all the hard drive to itself?

Thanks

binbash
June 2nd, 2009, 09:45 PM
Download and burn Gparted Live CD.Then boot with it, delete Vista partition and resize Ubuntu Partition.

Tibuda
June 2nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Or use your Ubuntu live CD to do it. Remember to backup your important files in BOTH partitions.

nandemonai
June 2nd, 2009, 09:51 PM
First, make sure you have a good backup of your user files. Partitioning isn't 100% safe, say if there was a power outage or some such.

Secondly, boot from the live CD and open up GParted ( System -> Administration -> Partition Editor ).

Thirdly, delete the Vista partition and resize your Ubuntu partition(s).

Lastly, once partitioning is done, reboot into Ubuntu and edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file:

sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

Remove the entry down the bottom for Windows. It'll look something like this.

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda4
title Microsoft Windows RC 7
rootnoverify (hd0,3)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

Hope it all works out for you with no dramas.

Mortus Pryde
June 2nd, 2009, 09:53 PM
Potentially a stupid question BUT! Does this work with XP and really any other OS? Also would I need to manually remove XP or said other OSs option from the Grub menu or will Grub detect that its gone and do that for me?

If the former perhaps some easy instructions for Anybloodyid, I already figured out how to edit the grub menu when my XP dual-boot snafu'ed.

As a point of curiosity Anybloodyid, what exactly happened/happens when you try to boot to Vista? Also do you use multiple hard drives? I know its off topic but as a beginner myself I like to pry a little into peoples problems that seem like they are similar to those I had.

Mortus Pryde
June 2nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
Lastly, once partitioning is done, reboot into Ubuntu and edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file:

sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

Remove the entry down the bottom for Windows. It'll look something like this.

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda4
title Microsoft Windows RC 7
rootnoverify (hd0,3)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

Hope it all works out for you with no dramas.

LOL Beat me to asking the question with the instructions. :)

Anybloodyid
June 3rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Ok I followed what you said and I now have this how do I give the unallocated space to Ubuntu?

http://www.poem-n-verse.co.uk/Screenshot.png

lisati
June 3rd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Ok I followed what you said and I now have this how do I give the unallocated space to Ubuntu?

What I would do is click on the Ubuntu partition, then "Resize/Move", then set it so that it had 0 free space both before and after, then "go for it" with "Apply"

Anybloodyid
June 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
Hi Lisati,

Thanks for the reply, I tried what you suggested but the Move/Resize is ghosted?
Do i need to do this from the live DVD?

cjv8888
June 3rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
Hi Lisati,

Thanks for the reply, I tried what you suggested but the Move/Resize is ghosted?
Do i need to do this from the live DVD?

You need to first resize the extended partition sda2 before trying to resize the sda5 partition to fill it, and you do need to do it from the live CD so that all the partitions are unmounted.

mike555
June 3rd, 2009, 11:40 AM
Why not just format the first partition ext3 and use it for backup or storage ....

Anybloodyid
June 3rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks for all the help but I decided to just reinstall the complete thing, nothing lost by doing this as I had only just started with Ubuntu.