PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows 7 Dock Windows on Side

Soapy.Illusions
June 2nd, 2009, 08:01 PM
New to ubuntu (4 weeks in)

And after having fun setting up everything, I found myself being jealous of my roomate who is beta testing Windows 7... When he drags a window to the side of the screen it docks it there and takes up half the screen, making it very quick and easy to compare two webpages or OO.o documents.

Is it possible to do this on Ubuntu, maybe using compiz?

Soapy.Illusions
June 3rd, 2009, 06:40 AM
[Bump]

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

binbash
June 3rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
CompizConfig Settings Manager > Shelf Plugin

Soapy.Illusions
June 3rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the reply

I tried the shelf plugin and it just seems to make the window smaller, I was thinking more along the lines, hotkey and it takes up exactly half the page that way docs could be easily put side by side for easy comparaison

3rdalbum
June 3rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
Closest thing: The Tile Windows plugin of Compiz.

Ignore the key bindings that are already there - they don't seem to do anything. Set up the Tile Windows Vertically combination, and then set a cool animation.

It will tile all windows on your current workspace, but I imagine that's probably close enough :-)

Soapy.Illusions
June 3rd, 2009, 10:39 AM
I installed the unsupported plugins for compiz and set up a hotckey for tile vertically
Although it seems to have no effect
And I did make sure it was properly enabled

Sry I'm new at this
Thnx for the help

prvteprts
June 3rd, 2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks! I have been wondering how to do this for some time.

Soapy.Illusions, did you enable the Tile plugin (tick the check button)? All I did was use the default settings, and use the hotkey for "toggle" = shift+winkey+x so that I did not have to remember the two other hotkeys. If it's still not working, perhaps the key combination you chose is conflicting with another plugin's hotkey setting.