PDA

View Full Version : Folder with Password...

penguin-of-doom
June 2nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hey,
Is there a program for Debian that I could protect my folder that nobody can get into? I know the administrator can go everywhere, but I am the administrator ^^ so how can I protect a folder with a password?

regards,
penguin-of-doom

Shpongle
June 2nd, 2009, 04:21 PM
try true crypt , if you wanna hide something that will definately do the trick!! ;)

Celauran
June 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
You could also just change the permissions on the directory to 0700.

unutbu
June 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
Ecryptfs is another option:
http://bodhizazen.net/Tutorials/Ecryptfs/

aysiu
June 2nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
You could also just change the permissions on the directory to 0700.
That doesn't really work, as anyone can boot a live CD or boot into recovery mode and see the file or change its permissions.

Encryption is the only way. I also highly recommend TrueCrypt.

bodhi.zazen
June 2nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
encryption is the only way.

+1

Celauran
June 2nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
That doesn't really work, as anyone can boot a live CD or boot into recovery mode and see the file or change its permissions.
Wow. I suddenly hate live CDs.

penguin-of-doom
June 2nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
Is it also possible that I could create the folder as root and then nobody else can see the content of it? That I could set rights only for me. Is that possible? I think that's easier than all the programs. I do not understand the English-Text of the Tutorial. I'm not so good at english ^^ But thank you for your answers!

regards,
penguin-of-doom

Celauran
June 2nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Is it also possible that I could create the folder as root and then nobody else can see the content of it? That I could set rights only for me. Is that possible? I think that's easier than all the programs. I do not understand the English-Text of the Tutorial. I'm not so good at english ^^ But thank you for your answers!

regards,
penguin-of-doom

No, they're right about the LiveCD. I had completely overlooked that. You can set the permissions to whatever you like and it won't matter -- LiveCDs can mount local filesystems and thus anyone booting your machine with a LiveCD will gain root access, defeating the restrictive permissions. Encryption really is the only option. That or removing your CD drive :P

penguin-of-doom
June 2nd, 2009, 08:44 PM
ok =) Then I will try to translate the tutorial ^^ thanks for your answers!

regards,
penguin-of-doom