PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] deleting Vista?

volkanmet86
June 2nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
i have installed ubuntu to the same partition where vista exists. now i like to use ubuntu only. how can i erase vista without giving any harm to ubuntu?

neo.patrix
June 2nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
I am sorry to say but your question is not very clear to offer a solution, need more information

1) what do you mean by deleting vista? just getting rid of your C: drive (assuming you have vista on it) or cleaning up your entire HD of other NTFS partitions as well

2) Are you using LiveCD, Wubi or have you already installed Ubuntu?

Mark Phelps
June 2nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
You can follow the directions in the link below to "move" your Ubuntu installation outside of Vista into its own partition:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=438591

MichaelSammels
June 2nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Or if you simply wish to delete the partition boot to the Ubuntu LiveCD and run GParted to delete the Vista Partition, and extend the Ext3 one.

mal1958
June 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Or if you simply wish to delete the partition boot to the Ubuntu LiveCD and run GParted to delete the Vista Partition, and extend the Ext3 one.

This may not work if they istalled in the same partition that Vista is in.

Mike

volkanmet86
June 2nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
i have installed vista to the c: driver and i installed ubuntu to the same c: driver. now i like to remove, delete or erase vista from my c: drive

Cypher
June 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
You will have to better explain how you did the installation. Did you install Ubuntu while you were already in Windows? This is the WUBI method. Or did you burn a CD with the LiveCD of Ubuntu, boot from it and then within the Gnome desktop, choose the Install option on the desktop and install Ubuntu?

There's a BIG difference in what the correct course of action to remove Windows based on how you installed it.

If you installed through the LiveCD, then just by the fact that you installed to the same partition as Windows (hopefully re-formating it to EXT3), you've already blown Windows away. If you can still boot into Windows, then you must have installed using WUBI and there are numerous links about removing Windows and keeping Ubuntu on Google...

mal1958
June 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
i have installed vista to the c: driver and i installed ubuntu to the same c: driver. now i like to remove, delete or erase vista from my c: drive

To further our information here:

Did you:

install to dual boot giving Ubuntu it's own partition on C: drive?
Install in windows so there is an icon on the Windows desktop for Ubuntu?
or How 'Exactly' did you install it?

If '1' then MichaelSammels suggestion will probably work.

If '2' then I don't think you can erase Vista from your system in a simple manner.

Please elaborate...

(EDIT): OK, scratch the above. I didn't know there were ways to save Linux and rid youtself of Vista if method '2' was used (IE the Wubi way).

Mike

Mike

neo.patrix
June 2nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
You can follow the directions in the link below to "move" your Ubuntu installation outside of Vista into its own partition:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=438591

Suggests an appropriate solution

Or

If that is too complex, you can do a fresh installion using LiveCD. Delete your C: drive and whatever amount of memory is freed use it for making Ubuntu Partitions and system installation. But cannot help much without knowing how your hard-disk might be partitioned. How your data is placed etc...

volkanmet86
June 2nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
You will have to better explain how you did the installation. Did you install Ubuntu while you were already in Windows? This is the WUBI method. Or did you burn a CD with the LiveCD of Ubuntu, boot from it and then within the Gnome desktop, choose the Install option on the desktop and install Ubuntu?

There's a BIG difference in what the correct course of action to remove Windows based on how you installed it.

If you installed through the LiveCD, then just by the fact that you installed to the same partition as Windows (hopefully re-formating it to EXT3), you've already blown Windows away. If you can still boot into Windows, then you must have installed using WUBI and there are numerous links about removing Windows and keeping Ubuntu on Google...

i think i used the wubi method. i was using vista when i installed ubuntu. i put the ubuntu cd while the vista was operating and i can chose between ubuntu and vista just after i turn on the pc. the problem is the both ubuntu and vista are in the c: drive

LewRockwell
June 2nd, 2009, 03:13 PM
as long as you have saved/backed-up all your valuable data off-machine, the quickest way would be to just reformat, repartition, and re-install.

those procedures are covered elsewhere on this, and other, forums and are outside of the scope of this post, given you are the only one who knows exactly what your needs/necessities are.