PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to get Compiz to zoom on the desktop?

Nixie Pixel
June 2nd, 2009, 04:00 AM
Hi, I would like to zoom in on terminal commands and such, but when I press win+mouse wheel, it does nothing.

What do I need to do in order to zoom in? I am running Compiz by default with Ubuntu, correct?

Thanks!

pspsampsp
June 2nd, 2009, 04:05 AM
you will need to install compiz setting manager , search it in add/remove or synaptic

Nixie Pixel
June 2nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hi.. I had it, but it still didn't work. It turns out that Compiz wouldn't start its effects because my graphics card's proprietary driver (Radeon HD 3870 X2) wasn't activated yet. So I activated it and my system will no longer boot.

*sigh*

I started a new thread for that, hopefully someone can help there:
My cry for help. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7386578#post7386578)

Nixie Pixel
June 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Ok, I got help and was able to resolve that problem, but now I can't activate the visual effects via System->Preferences->Appearance->Visual Effects. It searches for drivers, presumably can't find any, and tells me it can't activate effects.

Apparently my Ati video card (Radeon HD 3870 x2) is not supported in their Linux Catalyst drivers. Does this mean I can't use Compiz effects like Zoom?

Thanks!

nandemonai
June 2nd, 2009, 11:40 AM
Ok, I got help and was able to resolve that problem, but now I can't activate the visual effects via System->Preferences->Appearance->Visual Effects. It searches for drivers, presumably can't find any, and tells me it can't activate effects.

Apparently my Ati video card (Radeon HD 3870 x2) is not supported in their Linux Catalyst drivers. Does this mean I can't use Compiz effects like Zoom?

Thanks!

Sounds like it. At least until ATI fixes their drivers.

vonDalen
January 10th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I've got a similar setup (HD3870x2) just wondering if you've managed to get compiz to work with them yet.

I've noticed the ATI HD3XXX drivers are available, but apparently not with crossfire? Read some sites that talk about disabling a core and hacking the drivers, but seems like a headache.

Planning on switching my desktop over from vista, just want to make sure it'll work before i migrate.