PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multiple .ogv Files from Thoggen

mlnease
June 2nd, 2009, 01:01 AM
Hello,

I've just backed up a video DVD using Thoggen with the intention of burning it to a blank DVD using Brasero. Thoggen read the original disk and I had to select the tracks to copy--I selected all. Thoggen ripped them successfully (I assume). So now I have ten .ogv files on my hard drive; but Brasero only allows me to select them one by one. Since each of these is presumably a component of the whole video, I assume they must be burned together on the same DVD. Is this possible with Brasero? Have I made a wrong turn already? Any advice greatly appreciated.

mike

Steelmourne
June 2nd, 2009, 04:45 AM
The tracks you selected were different titles. The biggest title is the film which you should only select, unless you want extras or different languages. The other titles may be extras or commentaries. You won't be able to play these on a dvd player. For that, the files must be in MPEG-2 format with a .vob structure. .OGV is great for linux. How long did the rip take? Thoggen was always sluggish on my laptop.

mlnease
June 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM
The tracks you selected were different titles. The biggest title is the film which you should only select, unless you want extras or different languages. The other titles may be extras or commentaries. You won't be able to play these on a dvd player. For that, the files must be in MPEG-2 format with a .vob structure. .OGV is great for linux. How long did the rip take? Thoggen was always sluggish on my laptop.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I get it now (doh!). I went back and looked at the files; they seem to be divided in such a way that no single file comprises the entire main feature. So Thoggen's out--at least for this video--as it will only copy one file at a time (I think).

I tried Devede as recommended in the other response to your reply by pastalavista--no luck there either as yet.

I finally tried rfrayer's nice bit of code at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=933797. I've had some success with that in the past; I haven't made it work yet this time, but suspect I'm just bungling an intermediate step somewhere. If I eventually succeed with any of these approaches I'll post the results here.

Thanks again for your time and patience.

mike

mlnease
June 9th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Hello Again,

Back to my backup project. I never answered your question, sorry--yes, Thoggen is sluggish, seems to record in real time in fact. Can you recommend an alternative? Also, will Brasero burn 'in MPEG-2 format with a .vob structure'? I'd like to be able to play this on a VCR.

Thanks again.

mike