PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GNU question

mamut0o1
June 1st, 2009, 11:23 PM
Hello; I was hoping someone could explaing to me what is the GNU License about. I have a program that I would like to use it online in my webserver; I asked permission to use this software and I was told it should not be a problem for me to use it as long as I use it withing the boundaries of the GNU General Public License; I tried reading the GNU but my english is not that great and I think it's hard to understand.
Someone please help me.

Thanks!
Mamut](*,)](*,)](*,)

aeiah
June 1st, 2009, 11:31 PM
the GPL may be in your language. i assume it uses GPL v2.

have you tried searching for it on wikipedia in your native language? it should give you a basic summary. all you really need to know is that you're free to use it, free to distribute it and free to change it. the only condition really is that you must always include source code if you redistribute it after you've modified it.

mamut0o1
June 1st, 2009, 11:44 PM
the GPL may be in your language. i assume it uses GPL v2.

have you tried searching for it on wikipedia in your native language? it should give you a basic summary. all you really need to know is that you're free to use it, free to distribute it and free to change it. the only condition really is that you must always include source code if you redistribute it after you've modified it.

thank you for your response; I got it; so the only part of the code I did actually changed was the logos...do I have to include the source in my site? or only if I'm asked to share.

thanks again!
Mamut

aeiah
June 2nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
the short answer is: no, dont worry about it. they're only images after all.

technically speaking though, im not sure. its very doubtful, because changing the logos is probably classed as configuration in almost all cases and is not classed as modifying the software. and besides, you aren't distributing the software - it is just staying on your server.

mamut0o1
June 2nd, 2009, 02:26 AM
the short answer is: no, dont worry about it. they're only images after all.

technically speaking though, im not sure. its very doubtful, because changing the logos is probably classed as configuration in almost all cases and is not classed as modifying the software. and besides, you aren't distributing the software - it is just staying on your server.

Thank you for your help. I have a better understanding now.
Thanks again!

Mamut