PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI driver broken, puple screen when boot :S

jon6123
June 1st, 2009, 10:46 PM
ok so im a complete N00000B.

just installed good old unbuntu for the first time ever.
messed around with some ATI driver thing entering commands into the terminal willy nilly(from some ATI driver walkthrough) and now when i boot up ubuntu the screen flickers and gets stuck in purple lines, :(

dunno why i tried to install ATI drivers, i wanted 1440 x 900. i have an ATI radeon 9550.

please halpl mehh.

ok so im a complete N00000B.

just installed good old unbuntu for the first time ever.
messed around with some ATI driver thing entering commands into the terminal willy nilly(from some ATI driver walkthrough) and now when i boot up ubuntu the screen flickers and gets stuck in purple lines, :sad:

dunno why i tried to install ATI drivers, i wanted 1440 x 900. i have an ATI radeon 9550.

please halpl mehh.

cant enter ubuntu so using recovery thingy from grub boot menu when i boot ubuntu my screen goes purple, i messed it up trying to install ATI drivers, im a compolete noob so i dunno what im doing. please help me. its my first time on linux and its not going well :(

Steelmourne
June 2nd, 2009, 01:52 AM
Firstly, don't blindly type commands into terminal if you don't know what they do. The easiest option would be to reformat and re-install ubuntu. Then, go ATI's website, manually download drivers and follow the instructions in the pdf:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/legacy/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.25&lang=English