PDA

View Full Version : The fight over open source 'leeches'

richg
June 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM
This might be under a different subject heading.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/infoworld/20090601/tc_infoworld/75399

Rich

Sealbhach
June 1st, 2009, 09:54 PM
Sensationalised article, I don't think there's much of a story here.

DeadSuperHero
June 1st, 2009, 09:55 PM
Seems a tad bit alarmist.
Aren't end users in the enterprise allowed to make their own modifications and keep it for themselves? I'm personally not bothered by an Airline branch using FOSS software as long as they adhere to the license.
I really see FOSS as both a movement and commercially viable.

richg
June 1st, 2009, 10:00 PM
The media today does not have to be accurate, only sensational. I thought you all knew that. Many subjects in these forums are just like that article.
I see that in the many forums I belong to. History repeats itself regularly.

Rich

monsterstack
June 1st, 2009, 10:01 PM
Companies support open source software by using it and by submitting bugs. The Guardian had a great article about this recently (http://www.guardian.co.uk/help/insideguardian/2009/mar/25/sharing-contributing-caching) [guardian.co.uk]. You don't have to develop to "give something back". Users rarely do; why make companies do the same?

.Maleficus.
June 1st, 2009, 10:04 PM
If the MuleSource guy isn't happy with what he's getting in return for his software, why doesn't he make it proprietary and charge for it? Seems like a simple solution.

t0p
June 1st, 2009, 10:08 PM
I think Dave Rosenberg is getting all worked up over very little. Sure, it must be annoying for a True Believer developer to see corporations using Free software without giving anything back. But if they're not actually breaking the terms of the GPL then they're simply not doing anything wrong. There's no law that says users of Free software must contribute in some way. Otherwise I think an awful lot of us would be in trouble!

Of course, if corporations are breaching the GPL then they deserve to be tarred and feathered. Or sued. I think the fact that Verizon and Cisco were taken to court and had to settle proves that the GPL does have teeth, and corporations monkey with Free software at the risk of great peril.

richg
June 1st, 2009, 10:11 PM
Companies do not "have" to give back. That is different from "contributing" voluntarily.
Imagine what the open source movement could accomplish if more individual users would support their OS of choice when it is possible? Many developers of Linux distributions we use, have a “dream”.

Rich

Vadi
June 1st, 2009, 10:11 PM
Very valid point I thought on. But it's nobody's vault other than OSS itself, it it sees it as such.

monsterstack
June 1st, 2009, 10:16 PM
Very valid point I thought on. But it's nobody's vault other than OSS itself, it it sees it as such.

I wouldn't say it's all of the FOSS landscape. Just a few butthurt members thereof. There are developers, and there are the rest of us, and we're taking part, submitting bugs and patches, helping each other on forums and IRC, writing howtos and just in general getting on with things. Individuals and companies alike. That's what FOSS is about. I really don't see much of a problem with this issue at all.

capnthommo
June 1st, 2009, 10:37 PM
The media today does not have to be accurate, only sensational.
i can't recall who said it but
"the purpose of theatre critics is not to sell theatre tickets, but to sell newspapers"
cheers
nigel (taking a cynical view of most, if not all, the media)