PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Japanese do not work (Jaunty)

berdux
June 1st, 2009, 06:09 PM
Hello!

I have Ubuntu 9.04
i've been trying for some time now to install japanese input. I firstly went to System->Preferences->Keyboard and added japanese layout (i already had English and Greek), but nothing happened, when i selected Jpn it was inputing in english.

Then i went to System->Administration->Language Support and installed japanese language. even after that the SCIM toolbar did not show up when i selected Jpn. It does not show up even if i press Ctrl+Space.

I uninstaled/reinstaled the Jpn keyboard layout and the japanese language several times but i cannot make the SCIM toolbar appear. in System->Preferences there are options for SCIM toolbar but whatever i select it doesn't work.

do you have any suggestions?

thanks in advance :)

edit:
i've been using ubuntu for several months now
on my previous computer I had Japanese installed without encountering any such problem, it had ubuntu 8.10

Cardcaptor Stacey
June 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM
Have you tried this tutorial? http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3099856.0 Works great for me. Make sure you change skim to scim and it should work for Ubuntu.

berdux
June 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM
i cannot do most of these things... they are for interpid, and most apps and folders are for kubuntu or sth... i tried to add these by replacing interpid with jaunty.. but still i cannot type in japanese..

i fear that i have messed things up very much now :$

i tried things from this tutorial also but most things could not work
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=812552

berdux
June 1st, 2009, 06:56 PM
well after the last restart it seems to work...

James Keating
June 4th, 2009, 07:56 AM
In case you have further probems:

My experience with installing SCIM in 9.04 (Jaunty) was mostly simple. I added full Japanese support through Administration/Language Support, and SCIM worked fine with the standard set of packages.

However, I had one problem that I didn't recognize as being related to SCIM: I had constant trouble with losing keyboard input. If I used any input field or blank in my Web browser, the keyboard wouldn't respond again until I forced window manager to focus on the program again by clicking on the title bar or by right-clicking on the page and canceling. The problem with typing showed up mainly with Opera, which uses the Qt toolkit, and in TkDesk, which uses Tcl/Tk. I thought that this might be a problem with my window manager, FVWM, or with GDM, since GDM is the background to everything else.

The problem was that SCIM defaulted to using XIM, though SCIM-bridge is better. Other posts here refer to editing the file /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim-bridge. You don't have to go there directly. In your home directory, there should be a hidden directory called .xinput.d, with a file that links to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim-bridge. My file is named en_US. All I had to do was edit it (as root) and change the module lines. For GTK-based programs, I changed them to prefer SCIM-bridge and then SCIM. For Qt-based programs, I changed the module lines to prefer SCIM, then XIM. The only Qt-based program I use is Opera, but Opera won't work with SCIM-bridge, even though the file /usr/lib/qt3/plugins/inputmethods/im-scim-bridge.so is present.

My /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim-bridge now looks like:

XIM=SCIM
if [ -e /usr/bin/skim ]; then
XIM_PROGRAM=" "
else
XIM_PROGRAM=/usr/bin/scim-bridge
fi
XIM_ARGS="-d"
if [ -e /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/*/immodules/im-scim-bridge.so ]; then
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge
else
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
fi
if [ -e /usr/lib/qt3/plugins/inputmethods/im-scim-bridge.so ]; then
QT_IM_MODULE=scim
else
QT_IM_MODULE=xim
fi
DEPENDS="scim | skim, scim-bridge-agent, scim-bridge-client-gtk | scim-bridge-client-qt"

This also fixed the focus problem with TkDesk.

Qt programs need the packages scim-bridge-client-qt and scim-qtimm.
Also, it may help to edit your file ~/.scim/global to add the line
/DefaultConfigModule = kconfig

Before I found a proper fix for Opera, I was able to start it with
scim -d & XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM" QT_IM_MODULE="scim" opera

#####

Update for Lucid 10.04:

Ubuntu now uses IBus and no longer supports SCIM. Too bad IBus doesn't work with any Qt-based programs.

My current language setup:

1. Under System, Administration, Language Support, choose Japanese.

2. Install programs that Ubuntu doesn't include by default (including essential packages ...)
edict
enamdict
gjiten
kanjidic
kdrill
poppler-data (to view Japanese PDFs)
gs-cjk-resource
cmap-adobe-japan1
cmap-adobe-japan2
xpdf-japanese

I also installed more ttf fonts, but not all: Sazanami and Kochi gothic and mincho, VL Gothic, , Kiloji, Mikachan and ttf-mscorefonts (MS Gothic and Mincho, Osaka).
Other nice fonts are available at http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Japanese2.html; download and put in your ~/.fonts directory. Not all have romaji, and not all even work. I kept: Aoyagi Kouzan(青柳衡山), Soseki and Reishoka (青柳隷書下), Aquafont, Armed Lemon, Azukifont, Cinecaption, Deshima (出島), several Epson fonts, HuiFont, Kouzan brush (two), Makiba, Mona, Moon, MtTare, nagurigaki, Ohisama, Onryou, SZG Memo, Sanafon (two), Sea, Sword, unifont

3. the hidden home directory file ~/.xinput.d/en_US, which links to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim-bridge, may need editing (as root)
I changed mine to prefer scim-bridge, then scim, and not xim:

XIM=SCIM
if [ -e /usr/bin/skim ]; then
XIM_PROGRAM=" "
else
XIM_PROGRAM=/usr/bin/scim-bridge
fi
XIM_ARGS="-d"
if [ -e /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/*/immodules/im-scim-bridge.so ]; then
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge
else
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
fi
if [ -e /usr/lib/qt3/plugins/inputmethods/im-scim-bridge.so ]; then
QT_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge
else
QT_IM_MODULE=scim
fi
DEPENDS="scim | skim, scim-bridge-agent, scim-bridge-client-gtk | scim-bridge-client-qt"

4. Opera, and possibly other QT-based applications, may have more trouble than before. If you can't get Opera to work again with scim, you can start it from the command line with
scim -d & XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM" QT_IM_MODULE="scim" opera

To start it from the regular menu, I made a file called ~/.bin/opera-scim:

#!/bin/sh
QT_IM_MODULE="scim"; export QT_IM_MODULE
XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"; export XIM_PROGRAM
opera

and then edited the menus to change the properties of the Opera item to run that file:
opera-scim %u