PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partitioning in the installer

zortec
June 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM
I finally was able to get the installer going using the minimal CD. But I am unsure how to partition at this point. I created a 30GB partition in Windows that I want to break up and use 1-2GB for swap and the rest for root. This is what it shows in the partition screen:

SCSI1 - 320GB - ATA
#1 primary 104.9GB
#2 primary 31.5GB
pri/log 83.8GB

Do I want a manual or guided install? The guided install did 7.5GB for swap and 138 or such for root. If I go with manual, I have to decide if the partition will be at the beginning or front of the drive and it has a lot of other choices that I am not sure about.

I hope that anyone will be able to offer some help.

Legace
June 1st, 2009, 04:41 PM
I suggest you go with Manual.
Post a screenshot of the partitions so that I can explain what you need to do.

zortec
June 1st, 2009, 04:46 PM
How can I post a screenshot? I have to boot into Windows since Ubuntu is not yet installed.

Legace
June 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM
How can I post a screenshot? I have to boot into Windows since Ubuntu is not yet installed.

Don't you have a Ubuntu Live CD?
Boot into that and post a screenshot ;)

zortec
June 1st, 2009, 04:54 PM
Don't you have a Ubuntu Live CD?
Boot into that and post a screenshot

I could not get the Live CD to work so I used the Minimal CD as an alternative to run the installer. That is why it would be hard to post a screenshot. :)

Legace
June 1st, 2009, 04:58 PM
I could not get the Live CD to work so I used the Minimal CD as an alternative to run the installer. That is why it would be hard to post a screenshot. :)

Oh, so you have to create partitions through Terminal? Then I can't help ya, sorry :/
Try posting in http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331
You'll have a better chance of getting an answer ;)

LewRockwell
June 1st, 2009, 05:08 PM
I finally was able to get the installer going using the minimal CD. But I am unsure how to partition at this point. I created a 30GB partition in Windows that I want to break up and use 1-2GB for swap and the rest for root. This is what it shows in the partition screen:

SCSI1 - 320GB - ATA
#1 primary 104.9GB
#2 primary 31.5GB
pri/log 83.8GB

Do I want a manual or guided install? The guided install did 7.5GB for swap and 138 or such for root. If I go with manual, I have to decide if the partition will be at the beginning or front of the drive and it has a lot of other choices that I am not sure about.

I hope that anyone will be able to offer some help.

Looks like you'll have to go with the manual since the guided is allocating too much for swap.