PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Shell scripting help

mtanner
June 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM
Let me start off by saying sorry if this is not the appropriate forum. It's the only place I knew to start. I have more of a shell-scripting question.

I have a dual-boot XP/Ubuntu and a shared partition on which all my music is stored. I am new to shell scripting and have written a shell script to check the timestamp of a musiclib.date file I created, and copy any new files since the last sync timestamp to my flash drive so I can easily move those files to my desktop at home (this is all on my laptop currently). That way I don't have to remember or search for which songs I have added since the last time I synced the music on my desktop and laptop.

My question is: it seems to work fine for filenames and directories that don't have spaces (Linux/Unix standard) but since Windows/iTunes works with this shared music library most of the directories and file names do in fact have spaces, and it doesn't work for those because the test for $i being a directory doesn't return true - "for i in `ls /media/SHARE/Music` ... if [ -d "$i" ]..." If $i is a directory with a space, [ -d $i ] or [ -d "$i" ] don't seem to return true. I've read the man page for test but I get nowhere with that. I thought it might be a problem with my quoting, but I tried quoting different ways and no success. I based the script around the logic that my library is always stored artist/album/song.

I've attached the entire script to the message as well as another short dirtest.sh script that I used to test out the [ -d "$i" ] logic. Any info/help is appreciated!

116051 musicsync.sh

116054 dirtest.sh

sisco311
June 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/handling-filenames-with-spaces-in-bash.html

But, why don't you use rsync? ;)
community/rsync

mtanner
June 1st, 2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the advice! I don't guess I know what rsync is... like I said I'm still a bit new to Linux in general.

decoherence
June 1st, 2009, 05:10 PM
you are to be commended for your effort! but sisco311 is right... just use rsync (and maybe write a nice wrapper script around that!)

rsync keeps one directory in sync with another directory, even over different computers. it should be exactly what you need.

Tibuda
June 1st, 2009, 06:01 PM
rsync is so powerful. I suggest you to take a look to the grsync frontend.

mtanner
June 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM
Sweet. Thanks all!