PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What is and what's not needed?

Anybloodyid
June 1st, 2009, 02:21 PM
Hi Everybody,
After years of dithering I've finally installed Ubuntu9.04 along side my Windoze, Not brave enough yet to go the whole hog.
I looked on the hard drive after installation and I think I've copied some things across from windoze that are not needed, before I delete anything thought I'd better ask here.
the folders I have on my hard drive are

Boot
Documents and Settings
Program Data
Program Files
$Recycle.bin
Recycler
System Volume Information
TempDVD
Users
Windows

Which belong with Ubuntu and which can be deleted, if any?

Tibuda
June 1st, 2009, 02:38 PM
Only some stuff in "Documents and Settings" and "Users" may be useful in Ubuntu (most personal data), but nothing is needed. Why have you copied this to Ubuntu?

Diabolis
June 1st, 2009, 04:02 PM
I'm guessing that you copied them by dragging them with your mouse, so they are all probably in your home folder, right? It is probably safe to delete them all if they are owned by you, anyway if you are not the owner, you won't be able to delete them. That is one of the benefits of linux, file permissions. If they were used by the system, they would be in your root partition and owned by root.

Anybloodyid
June 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM
No Idea why or how this was copied I must have clicked on something during the installation of Ubuntu.
Never mind it's all about learning.

clive littlewood
June 1st, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hi

During the installation you would be asked if you wanted to transfer any files from windows.

If you don't want them then you can safely delete.

You can access your windows files from Ubuntu anyway.

Clive

Anybloodyid
June 1st, 2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks Clive,
But something has gone really pear shaped?
When the computer starts and I click to start in windows I get a message BOOTMGR not found.
I can boot into Ubuntu but not windows.
Any ideas please