PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Facebook videos?

volkanmet86
June 1st, 2009, 10:50 AM
hi! i have been using win fir about 15 years and recently started to use ubuntu 904. but i cannot watch uploaded videos on facebook over firefox? hiw can i solve this problem?

nandemonai
June 1st, 2009, 01:30 PM
hi! i have been using win fir about 15 years and recently started to use ubuntu 904. but i cannot watch uploaded videos on facebook over firefox? hiw can i solve this problem?

Do you have flash installed?

sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin

Tibuda
June 1st, 2009, 01:37 PM
Do you have flash installed?

sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin

I thought the package name were flashplugin-nonfree (apt:flashplugin-nonfree)?

nandemonai
June 1st, 2009, 01:39 PM
I thought the package name were flashplugin-nonfree (apt:flashplugin-nonfree)?

There are a few different versions. I hear the adobe one tends to work better though I do use flashplugin-nonfree myself.

Only issue is to make sure you only have 1 plugin installed at any one time.

Tibuda
June 1st, 2009, 01:45 PM
There are a few different versions. I hear the adobe one tends to work better though I do use flashplugin-nonfree myself.

But flashplugin-nonfree is from adobe, and I can't find adobe-flashplugin in my Synaptic

nandemonai
June 1st, 2009, 01:56 PM
Good point..

I guess a new repository is added when you install it from the adobe site:

Installation instructions via APT

1. Click the download link and follow the instructions to complete installation
2. To verify the plugin is installed in Mozilla, launch Mozilla and choose Help > About Plug-ins from the browser menu.
3. To get the most up-to-date Flash Player in the future, issue the following commands from the Terminal:

* sudo apt-get update
* sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin

My bad.

volkanmet86
June 1st, 2009, 02:10 PM
yes i have installed flash but the problem remains. i got this message,

http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotxwv.png
http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotxwv.png

Tibuda
June 1st, 2009, 02:18 PM
Have you read the message? The video was removed.

volkanmet86
June 1st, 2009, 02:57 PM
i can open these videos in vista but i get such messeges in ubuntu

nandemonai
June 1st, 2009, 03:10 PM
i can open these videos in vista but i get such messeges in ubuntu

Seems like a facebook issue to me then.

Tibuda
June 1st, 2009, 03:12 PM
Why they just don't tell the truth then? Try installing the user agent switcher plugin (https://addons.mozilla.org/en/firefox/addon/59) to pretend you are using windows, and see what happens.

chrisod
June 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM
I watch FB videos all the time with the adobe plugin (downloaded direct from Adobe) and Firefox in Ubuntu. I don't think it's a FB program. I'd suggest uninstalling all Flash plugins, then install the Adobe one.

volkanmet86
June 1st, 2009, 04:27 PM
i have tried all the suggestions but still no solution :(

chebbie
June 12th, 2009, 07:08 AM
i'm having the same problem and i've downloaded the .deb version of flashplugin 10 for ubuntu and while installing i'm having the problem 'error architecture i386'..i'm on ubuntu 9.04 jaunty

pous
June 12th, 2009, 09:16 PM
although i haven't tried fb videos, i do seem to have trouble with all the sites i watch anime on, except for videos posted on megavideo which i usually try to avoid due to the time limit...

anaconda
June 12th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I have the same problem on my work machine.

Facebook videos wont work, BUT eg. youtube videos play without problems.

In facebook I get complains that I need to install a new flashplugin, so I installed the flashplugin 10.. but still no luck.

pous
June 12th, 2009, 11:12 PM
would it help to install windows' firefox and plugins+codecs through wine?
is it possible, if so, is it better or worse compared to the linux version of firefox??

just a thought i just had..

Sinkingships7
June 13th, 2009, 12:00 AM

flashplugin-nonfree is Adobe's flash... *slightly confused*

ahmedsaieed
June 14th, 2009, 01:19 AM
having same problem here and its turning me crazy!

pous
June 15th, 2009, 12:15 AM
i have tried all the suggestions but still no solution :(

i found the solution to my video issue hope it might help you... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1180896&

hegex
June 24th, 2009, 02:15 AM
The problem is, facebook devs say: "Currently, Facebook requires a minimum Flash Player version of either 9.0.159.0 or 10.0.22.87 for all <fb:swf> tags." and Ubuntu uses 10.0.21 version. And i think Volkanmet86 has Ubuntu 64bit and how ever he will install things, he wount get the videos works, simply cos there is no 10.0.22 version for 64bit linux yet.

So if there is a way to cheat and pretend that you have 10.0.22 version, i want to know it too. User Agent Switcher just fakes your browser.

awaisclub
June 27th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks Pous. I have resolved my facebook problem through the thread link you have given.