PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nfts driver

Harpie Queen
June 1st, 2009, 10:11 AM
Hi, I'd like to get a driver for my nfts external hard drive. I can do an install either graphically, through terminal (give me full command though please, I am new) or by downloading the deb and double clicking on it.

Thanks!

Bodsda
June 1st, 2009, 10:33 AM
Hi,

The two main utilities needed for interacting with ntfs filesystems are ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs

sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g ntfsprogs

Hope this helps,

Bodsda

Lemuel111
June 1st, 2009, 10:50 AM
Hi I'm totally new to Linux and I have downloaded several files/drivers onto my Ubuntu 9 desktop but I'm struggling to find how to install them. I have extracted the files but I don't know what to do next. Can anyone help?

Didius Falco
June 1st, 2009, 11:06 AM
Hi Lemuel111 and welcome to the Ubuntu forums!

You need to start a new thread. It's considered impolite to "hijack" someone elses' thread. Besides, you'll get a lot more response with a new thread, especially if you give it a title that clearly indicates the problem you are having.

It helps a lot if you give as much information as you can in the first post, too. In your case, you should give the complete names, including the extensions (the part after the "." in the file name) of the files you are trying to install, and any other information you think might help us to help you.

Regards,

Didius

Lemuel111
June 1st, 2009, 11:10 AM
Sorry about that. How do I start a new thread?

neo.patrix
June 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM
What kind of packages you have downloaded? Debian? Best thing would be install packages via package-manager, rather than random downloads.

Lemuel111
June 1st, 2009, 11:17 AM
RutilTv014; wpa_supplicant-0.49 & rtl8181 if that means anything to you.

neo.patrix
June 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM
You need to start a new thread. It's considered impolite to "hijack" someone elses' thread. Besides, you'll get a lot more response with a new thread, especially if you give it a title that clearly indicates the problem you are having.

Maybe you need a new thread...

No those files do not mean much to me. But they do not look like Ubuntu/Debian packages either. Are those driver files that you normally use for installing on windows or are those files you have downloaded from certain website with big fat label "Linux Support"?

Lemuel111
June 1st, 2009, 11:40 AM
Basically I'm having problems connecting to the internet via my wireless G+ Belkin USB adapter. I have read a number of sites so called solving the problem but my lack of knowledge means I'm still not solving the problem. For example "file:///media/disk/Using the Belkin USB Wireless G key under Linux.htm" recommends a download. Instructions = 1. download the archive 2. expand it (how I ask??) 3. go into archive's directory with cd.
Tried 1. & 3. but then Terminal tells me that I have gtk+ 2.0 missing!! I download a gtk+ bundle but then the 'read me' says only install what you need & use this package if you know what you are doing (which I don't!). So I'm stuck as I don't want to do anything I shouldn't.