PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should i make the Switch?

projectviper
June 1st, 2009, 06:32 AM
Well recently i have been considering switching over to ubuntu due to the fact that i have to purchase a new hard drive and i just activated windows on the broken hard drive meaning i would have to pay another $350 to re buy windows which is just ridiculous but before i decide i have 3 questions

1. does it run as a 64 bit OS??
2. can i get it to run applications i use in windows regularly. what i mean by that is running things like team speak and my games because to be honest Iam not worried about using alternatives to office and stuff like that i just don't want to install unbuntu only to find out the hundreds of dollars of games i own wont work with it.
3. Does unbuntu have any conflicts with different types of hardware?

WinterMadness
June 1st, 2009, 06:37 AM
1) There isa 64 bit version
2) You can get some of them to work with a program called wine. I think team speak works (dont quote me though) Not all games work in ubuntu, in fact most dont.
3) Most conflicts ubuntu has with hardware comes from the lack of driver support. I dont know of any other conflicts

Most gamers end up sticking with windows, if I were you I would dual boot and only use windows to play games that dont work in linux. Its really not safe to use windows at all.

Jazzy_Jeff
June 1st, 2009, 06:38 AM
Well recently i have been considering switching over to ubuntu due to the fact that i have to purchase a new hard drive and i just activated windows on the broken hard drive meaning i would have to pay another $350 to re buy windows which is just ridiculous but before i decide i have 3 questions

1. does it run as a 64 bit OS??
2. can i get it to run applications i use in windows regularly. what i mean by that is running things like team speak and my games because to be honest Iam not worried about using alternatives to office and stuff like that i just don't want to install unbuntu only to find out the hundreds of dollars of games i own wont work with it.
3. Does unbuntu have any conflicts with different types of hardware?

1. Yes there is a 64 bit version of Ubuntu.
2. You would have to search the wine database to see if you can get the games to work under wine. World of Warcraft works great. That is what I play. There is a TS version for Linux but it takes over the whole sound system and you can't hear anything else. They did a crappy job with it.
3. There are always going to be some things that don't work properly because of the amount of hardware out there. The best thing to do is run a live cd and see if every thing works.

Bradtek
June 1st, 2009, 06:49 AM
Unless all your games/ windows only apps are reported to work well in Wine
you will likely be disappointed.

Essential reading for those considering linux
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

cariboo907
June 1st, 2009, 06:59 AM
Just because you've used up your three XP activations doesn't mean you have to purchase a new copy of Windows. Phone the 800 number and the nice people in India will give you a new activation code, all you have to do is tell them why you need to do it. I've done it several times.

I would suggest you start with a dual boot system, that way if there is something you absolutely need in windows you're aren't stuck. You also have to realize that the learning curve is the same as when you started using Windows, so don't expect everything to be the same.

Dual booting will also give you a chance to try some of your windows programs to see if they work. I would suggest using the Ubuntu equivalents. Have a look here. (http:///wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_software_equivalent_to_Windows_software)

nandemonai
June 1st, 2009, 07:03 AM
I second the dual boot option.

Windows = Games and Linux = Everything else :)

Mark Phelps
June 1st, 2009, 01:43 PM
Couple of responses ...

Strongly support what Cariboo said. You probably won't have to pay anything to get another product ID. The MS support people understand that hard drives die over time. Just tell them what happened, provide your existing product ID, and they'll issue you a new one.

Regarding the MS Windows reuse question, the most direct answer is -- probably not. It's a popular misconception that Wine will run EVERYTHING that MS Windows runs. You need to check the CodeWeavers application compatibility database at the link below for the apps you want to run. Unless you see a Gold rating or better, you're wasting your time installing Wine:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name

In answer to your posting title, if you're coming over to Linux only to run MS Windows apps, then no, you should not make the switch. You're guaranteed to be disappointed and frustrated.