PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] loading nvidia drivers reboots to black screen.

tactx
June 1st, 2009, 12:56 AM
I could really use some help with this if anyone knows how to. I've been bashing my head against a wall for two days now.

My computer: Nvidia nForce 780i mainboard
Intel Core2Duo processor
2x Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS graphics cards
3x Optiquest monitors

Problem: I have had this rig functioning without issue in 8.04,but since
I just installed 9.04 no matter what method I use to intall the nvidia drivers, when I reboot after the logo loads commands scroll down the page and after it says "checking batteries i get a blinking cursor and the a black screen.
If I reboot is says "shutting down gnome display manager."

it doesn't this weather I use 32bit or 64 bit Ubuntu 9.04, or if I load the drivers using the restricted hardware drivers app or the envyng script the result is the same.

Again, any help on this will be much appreciated

Steelmourne
June 1st, 2009, 03:29 AM
You might need drivers for your motherboard. Otherwise try manually install the newest drivers by logging out of gnome and bringing using a virtual console to install.

tactx
June 1st, 2009, 10:40 AM
I've tried that...
I ran envyng from the from the prompt..dropping to bash at the login screen and I followed the method I found in a post using the driver from Nvida..stoping x server/gdm first..and Ive used the Jockey app..

every time the driver installs, but after reboot commands scroll across the screen until it says "checking batteries"...then noting but a blinking cursor..

Appearantly Gnome Display Manager(GDM) is running but not working.

tactx
June 1st, 2009, 11:18 PM
Day three, no luck. If you know how to fix this please help. If it is a known issue...please let me know that as well.

tactx
June 2nd, 2009, 03:46 AM
I did a parallel install got things working and copied over the working xorg.config file.

now there still a small mouse issue to adress...but its working well so far.

mochiko
June 16th, 2009, 08:58 PM
hi, i'm having this problem right now and i'm not sure how to fix it. I've been searching for a solution for about 4 days now and still can't get past this black screen with a cursor.

how would i find out which kind of driver i need to install?
or.. like how do i fix this problem ?!