PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever bought a "new" router to find it's a refurb packaged as new?

diablo75
May 31st, 2009, 07:54 AM
This happened to me recently and I wrote about it on my blog (http://davestechsupport.com/blog/2009/05/30/ill-never-buy-a-netgear-router-again/). It happened to be the 3rd Netgear router I had picked up over the last two weeks from my nearby Wal-Mart, trying to find a replacement for a dead router I got a lot of use out of. To make the story ultra short for the forums, here's a couple pictures I took:

http://www.davestechsupport.com/blog/images/netgearsucks.png

Has anyone ever run into something like this before?

pwnst*r
May 31st, 2009, 08:17 AM
ouch! i've purchase a couple of netgear and over 20 linksys WRT54G's and never experienced that. the multiple WRT54G's were client purchases (hotspots, private biz, and home installs)

dmizer
May 31st, 2009, 08:50 AM
A while back, I was working for a wine import company. We would send the Japanese labels to the French distributor to apply before the wine was shipped. We had been doing this for many years because the French distributor could feed the labels into their bottling machine and make it all look very neat and professional.

In France though, there are not many people who can read Japanese so one year we got an entire shipment with the Japanese labels on upside down. Between the 6 of us, we had to print fresh labels, and hand apply them over top of 10000 bottles worth of misapplied ones.

I realize that's not the case here, but my point is that just because you have two seals doesn't mean that you have refurbished rather than new. It may simply mean that at one point someone had to open the package for a customer, and the customer ended up not wanting it, or it was returned.

diablo75
May 31st, 2009, 09:31 AM
I realize that's not the case here, but my point is that just because you have two seals doesn't mean that you have refurbished rather than new. It may simply mean that at one point someone had to open the package for a customer, and the customer ended up not wanting it, or it was returned.

Well I see your point, but it doesn't change the fact that the router still didn't work, nor did another one exactly like it I had purchased just a couple days earlier. Something odd I noticed between the two is the first of those two needed a firmware upgrade, but the second one didn't. Just an observation.

There was one other suspicious piece of "evidence" I didn't photograph and that was the "install the netgear software on your PC before you setup your router" sticker that covers the downlink ports on the back. It had obviously been re-applied before.

Also, the shrink wrap on the box wasn't something you'd see from the standard cheap heat gun seal you'd find in most stores that will re-stock items with explicit "open-item" sticker with a reduced price on it; this LOOKED brand new from the outside, like it was sealed at the factory. So I guess the theory is, someone bought it from another Wal-Mart, found it didn't work, returned it, Wal-Mart sent it to Netgear because they were told it was defective, Netgear put a new sticker on the bag around the router, and re-wrapped the packaging in house with little or no testing done on the hardware. I highly doubt Wal-Mart has spare Netgear stickers laying around to help disguise an open router bag.

Sorry, but that topped with the fact that two other new Netgear routers purchased just a week before this one also failed to work has turned me off to Netgear.

I used to love Netgear, but it's pretty obvious they've got serious quality control problems these days.

fatality_uk
May 31st, 2009, 11:25 AM
Yes. I even bought a Samsung NC10 which had been used. I mean it had human hair stuck in the keyboard :(

WalMart and supermarkets often cycle stock that has been returned. Many supermarkets offer quite generous returns polices, so people will be happy to use a product for months, return it for a new one with a minor complaint, or just within a general 14 day return policy, and then unless the customer specifies that it was broken, back it goes to the supplier who then usually checks and dispatches it out again it if work.

Doesn't help you much I know, sucks what happened, but can I suggest that if you purchase from there again, ask to see it before paying. Most stores will let you check electrical items first. :D

mr.propre
May 31st, 2009, 02:57 PM
Once with a HDD, there was still (personal) data on it.
Went to a place for free legal advice (thank you Belgium) and they gave me 2 options.

a) go to the federal police and lose my HDD and the people sold it could end up in jail because it of privacy violation, not because they sold me a used HDD. (and as you know, privacy is holy in Europe)

b) (Best option) go to the store and demand a new one because I paid for a new one and tell them that if they soled used HDD's (for a used Price of course) they needed to format it because the penalty is 3 years jail max.

When to the store and they format it because it would take 3 months (!) to get the same model ordered.
Told them about what the lawyer told me and the guy just started to freak out. That's <censored>, no <censored> way that possible. Even if I would have formatted it is still would be able to recover data (bla bla bla with allot of swearing). To bad I'm still the tech guy in my family and to my friend, told them this story and it cost him +20 customers. The idiot.

diablo75
May 31st, 2009, 03:21 PM
I'm just shocked that Netgear reused the same internal packaging (bag, stickers) instead of replacing them. I would have never noticed had they spent just a few pennies on a new bag and stickers; darn this horrible US economy, people will do anything to save money I guess. I'm just happy to say that I've not had any problems with this new Linksys (though I'm a coin toss away from replacing it's firmware with something open-source so I can get a couple extra features out of it).

jrusso2
May 31st, 2009, 04:53 PM
This is very illegal. Office Depot once did this to me with a laptop. I would go back and present the evidence to the store and ask them to make it right.

If not I would pursue legal action.

mxboy15u
May 31st, 2009, 05:05 PM
This is very illegal. Office Depot once did this to me with a laptop. I would go back and present the evidence to the store and ask them to make it right.

If not I would pursue legal action.

Legal action over a $60 router? Get real please. No moving parts=no care. Its a router not a car...if it works then just use it, if it doesn't return it for another brand.

xuCGC002
May 31st, 2009, 05:41 PM
Legal action over a $60 router? Get real please. No moving parts=no care. Its a router not a car...if it works then just use it, if it doesn't return it for another brand.

Actually he was talking about his own experience with a laptop at office depot, not the router purchased by Diablo75.

pwnst*r
May 31st, 2009, 09:08 PM
Actually he was talking about his own experience with a laptop at office depot, not the router purchased by Diablo75.

right, but he was saying to take the router back.

i agree with mxboy, if you're inclined to take legal action over a $60 router, well, you're either pretty bored and/or you have no idea what you're getting yourself into and how much money you'll be wasting to prove a "point".

Dr. C
May 31st, 2009, 09:37 PM
right, but he was saying to take the router back.

i agree with mxboy, if you're inclined to take legal action over a $60 router, well, you're either pretty bored and/or you have no idea what you're getting yourself into and how much money you'll be wasting to prove a "point".

IANAL A small claims action would cost about the same as the router. The chances of success are slim because Wal-Mart can use their return policy as a defense. Why did you just not return the router for a full refund instead of suing us? Now if one tried to return the router and was was refused then that is another matter.

pwnst*r
May 31st, 2009, 09:41 PM
what i'm saying is, if you going to go through the trouble of that for a f*cking $60 router, you have way more time on your hands than me.

Polygon
May 31st, 2009, 09:44 PM
does the router work? I mean, even if it was a refurb, that means they fixed whatever went wrong with it and now it is essentially a brand new product. Whats the problem here?

lisati
May 31st, 2009, 09:52 PM
Aren't there laws about "suitability for purpose" and "don't use misleading advertising"?

Dr. C
May 31st, 2009, 09:58 PM
Aren't there laws about "suitability for purpose" and "don't use misleading advertising"?

Yes, but if the retailer made an honest mistake and is willing to refund the customer what is the problem here?

diablo75
June 1st, 2009, 02:38 AM
I think I'm getting a greater satisfaction out of putting these pictures up and sharing my experience with people on the Internet. What I find aggravating is the fact that my credit card is associated with the second exchange, meaning they should be able to check their records and find an internal copy of my receipt. As mentioned in my blog, Wal-Mart will only allow exchange with an exact item if you don't have a receipt. Best Buy would look up your receipt for you if you purchased with a check or credit card (I've even done it when I worked for them 9 years ago). I still plan to march in there on Monday and demand a manager at least give me store credit.