PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] encrypted?

capput
May 30th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I was looking at the dropbox website which claims that with dropbox "All data is transferred over SSL and encrypted with AES-256 before storage." After looking I have not been able to find any information on the ubuntu one site and I am curious if there is any similar protection for information with ubuntu one?

kklimonda
May 31st, 2009, 03:25 AM
I know that it is transferred over SSL to them, dunno if it's encrypted before stored.

jflaker
May 31st, 2009, 03:29 AM
Just from a liability standpoint, I can't see it not being stored in encrypted format....the cost of One leak of customer files that contain sensitive info can spell disaster for Canonical

xdevnull
October 14th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Any more on this yet? I looked around and couldn't find anything. Frankly, I'm not wild about storing unencrypted files on any corporation's server.

joshuahoover
October 15th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Any more on this yet? I looked around and couldn't find anything. Frankly, I'm not wild about storing unencrypted files on any corporation's server.

My apologies for the confusion. We need to add this information, as it's pretty important to know. :) Currently the transport of data from your computer to the cloud is encrypted using SSL. We do not encrypt the files in storage. Our recommendation is for users to do this using something like Karmic's encrypted home folder or other similar solutions (True Crypt, etc.)

Thank you,

Joshua