View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu (9.04? 9.10? others?) and Dell Wireless 1390

May 29th, 2009, 03:42 PM
hi everyone and apologies for double-posting re: a Dell Vostro 1310 (which I just bought and will be in the mail next week).

Only after buying it (unfortunately) I came across ONE post that suggests that Ubuntu and the "Dell Wireless 1395 (802.11 b/g) MiniPCI Card - Celeron Processors" are not compatible with one another. Bottom line: if I can't use my laptop wireless I won't install Ubuntu and will be stuck with Vista...which is a shame, as I seem to understand that Ubuntu works otherwise well on this machine.

This doesn't seem to be specifically confirmed by the "Help Ubuntu" documentation, although I found https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/1390 as a solution to the 1390 (is it safe to assume that the 1390 and the 1395 are...basically similar?).

Could you please help me with this. Is there a workaround that allows Ubuntu to go wireless on this machine? If there is, which version of Ubuntu should I install, for instance, to minimize problems)? Should it in any case and preferably be 32-bit or 64-bit? > the machine comes with a Vista Home basics 32-bit on an Intel Celeron Processor 550 (2.0 GHz, 1 MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB), Memory: 1024MB (2x512) 667MHz DDR2 Dual Channel (I'm prepared to upgrade the memory to 2Giga).

Thanks for your help.

May 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I've forgotten to add that I will certainly try out the "live CD" (without changes to the computer) before installing it (should anyone suggest this). I was just wondering if the "live CD" can actually help identify possible issues with the wireless?

May 29th, 2009, 03:48 PM
With the live CD you will be able to see if the wireless works because the default desktop is run from the CD. Any changes you make when running the live CD will be lost when you reboot. So you can troubleshoot the issue before making the plunge.

May 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
They may be similar, or may not, often times on laptops, wireless cards, etc, the branding will stay almost identical, but the chipset (which is really what matters in terms of compatability) vaires widely. Your best bet is to get it, try out the livecd, and only when you have it will you know exactly what wifi hardware it actually has.

In the meantime, I'd not worry so much, between ever-improving wifi support and ndiswrapper, I think almost every wifi card out there today works in some manner of speaking. (though it might take a little doing)

July 5th, 2009, 08:58 AM
finally tried it out and it works flawlessly without having to replace the wi-fi card or anything.

July 5th, 2009, 04:10 PM
finally tried it out and it works flawlessly without having to replace the wi-fi card or anything.

please edit your first post and add "[SOLVED]" to the beginning of your title

July 5th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Please add [SOLVED]

I opened this thread for 3rd time :-)