PDA

View Full Version : keyboard prints wrong characters

kvs
May 28th, 2009, 11:07 PM
i have vista and ubuntu installed on my laptop. everything was working fine, just yesterday my laptop started printing wrong characters in vista. for ex, when i press o, it woud print 6. in ubuntu, keyboard works fine. this makes me think it might not be a hardware problem. i had heard that this kind of problems are caused in case of a virus. i scanned my whole windows folder, and also scanned my computer using spybot for adware and spyware, but no luck. what could be the problem?

ssanders4917
May 28th, 2009, 11:12 PM
its been a while since I have touched Vista but in XP it was located in the control panel. It is under keyboard mapping or something along that line. If you just installed vista you may need some kind of driver. I have an acer and it has a driver for the keyboard because of some of the compressed and changed functions.

fatality_uk
May 28th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Have you checked that the NUM lock key is on?

kvs
May 29th, 2009, 12:04 AM
i have been using vista for quite a while. this problem only started yesterday. when i press the num lock key, nothing happens.

Saint_
May 29th, 2009, 12:47 AM
One of the more solid ways to test if its a virus is to boot to Vista in Safe Mode. Once booted open up notepad or something and try typing, if the keyboard is still malfunctioning I'd have to guess that it's a driver problem (which was mentioned) or your vista recently went goofy...which sounds illogical but then again it IS microsoft. Anyways, hope this helps man good luck.

73ckn797
May 29th, 2009, 12:50 AM
And it can be assumed that the keyboard was not changed to a different layout that you are aware of?

kvs
May 29th, 2009, 12:25 PM
yes, i think so. as far as i know, keyboard layout has not been changed.
i tried running it in safe mode, and its causing the same problem. so it might be a vista specific problem. can i be sure now that its not because of any virus?

kvs
May 29th, 2009, 12:26 PM
i also went to the device manager and tried to update the drivers for my keyboard, but they said that the current driver was already the latest version.

Dngrsone
May 29th, 2009, 12:49 PM
You are running a laptop and Vista thinks you are in numbers mode. There is going to be a special function key (mine is the second one in on the bottom left row for my HP, it's labeled 'fn' and the text is circled.) and there will be a corresponding 'num lk', 'num lock', or somesuch key that shoyuld take you out of this mode.

It may be you accidentally enabled this once and Vista is remembering it, or it could just be a hiccup.

kvs
May 29th, 2009, 05:12 PM
yes i found those keys. so should i press both of them together?

kvs
May 29th, 2009, 05:42 PM
wow! it worked! thank you so much guys!

73ckn797
May 29th, 2009, 07:57 PM

Your situation reminded me of once seeing a joke about keys being switched on the keyboard.

"ROR, someone sritched the keyboawd awound"):P

Dngrsone
May 30th, 2009, 02:51 AM

Happy to be of service. http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee303/Dngrs_1/nod.gif

kvs
May 30th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Your situation reminded me of once seeing a joke about keys being switched on the keyboard.

"ROR, someone sritched the keyboawd awound"):P

lol, nice one!