PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Has anyone tried Synapse?

celticbhoy
May 28th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Hi I was just wondering if anyone had tried using the Synapse IM app, & if so what you think of it.

http://synapse.im/download/

Hospadar
May 28th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Why don't you try it and tell us!

They even have a package to download - snappy.

celticbhoy
May 28th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I have it installed but I dont have an IM account it will work with. The screenshots look good, but I was wondering about general use - how close to complete is it - does it feel intuative etc.

meeples
May 28th, 2009, 09:53 PM
just tried it. its beautiful fits in to the desktop amazingly but its just jabber o.O and dont know anyone who uses jabber tbh

celticbhoy
May 28th, 2009, 10:20 PM
It is still beta. As I said earlier the screenshots look fantastic, and I was hoping someone would tell me that it feels as good as it looks. One for the future though.

meeples
May 28th, 2009, 10:31 PM
kindof, it doesnt seem to support compiz for some reason so although it fits in really welll it doesnt wobble when i move it which feels weird haha

celticbhoy
May 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Hope you are talking about the window.....

meeples
May 28th, 2009, 10:44 PM
yea. rather than...my moniter.

its made of jelly :).

MJWitter
May 28th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Just as a reminder, it also works with google Talk/GMail accounts as those use the jabber protocol.. Just trying it out, looks like it has some real potential!

meeples
May 28th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Hope you are talking about the window.....

oh jeez. i just got it.

im slow tonite.

and to the guy above. oh cool i didnt know that. but still everyone i know uses msn (N)

pickarooney
June 10th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Used it last night for the first time with a couple of gmail-using friends. It's rather prety btu for the moment has no functions that other chat programs doesn't have and the inability to use skype/msn/aol will probably mean it won't be widely used. There's a share desktop button on there but I assume your correspondent needs to have synapse (and linux) for that to work.

Rytron
December 18th, 2010, 05:58 PM
In Synapse Preferences I turned off 'Show in panel' option. Now I cannot access the preferences any more.

Update: I see the small circle on the top right of the Synapse window. Preferences can be accessed from there.