PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] is there an idiot proof way of getting 64 bit flash?

w.g.hanna
May 28th, 2009, 01:12 PM
i just installed jaunty - for the second time. the first time i did a full install and got flash to work by:

1. downloading the compressed folder from adobe
2. extracting it to my desktop
3. copying and pasting it in the mozzilla plugin folder

very easy, and it worked.

then i tried to create a seperate home partition and broke everything - so i did a fresh install, and created the seperate home partition with the live cd.

so i try to repeat the above process and i get an error. apparantly, i have to be logged in as root to change the permissions of the system folders or to copy and paste things in them. so i log out and try to log bac in as root, but it tells me that i can't log in as root from that screen (without telling me how to do it).

another thing i tried was to use the live cd and mount the two partitions - then i tried to do the copy and paste thing again with the same result: i lack permission and lack the authority to change the permissions.

philinux
May 28th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Just install it from synaptic.

Or this.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

Extract the libflashplayer.so, create a folder in .mozilla called plugins, copy this file into the plugins folder. Restart firefox.

jokerejoker
May 28th, 2009, 01:22 PM
click this link apt://flashplugin-nonfree

regala
May 28th, 2009, 02:40 PM
apparantly, i have to be logged in as root to change the permissions of the system folders or to copy and paste things in them. so i log out and try to log bac in as root, but it tells me that i can't log in as root from that screen (without telling me how to do it).

no, not apparently, it has always been. you just forgot to use sudo like the first time ("having to be logged as root" doesn't mean "having root type his password" -- which doesn't exist by the way -- but "being root", which is what sudo is for)

br, mathieu

XCan
May 28th, 2009, 07:21 PM
IIRC the one in synaptics is 32bit and runs through nspluginwrapper. To summarize it, it SUCKS on a 64bit system.

zika
May 28th, 2009, 07:29 PM
i just installed jaunty - for the second time. the first time i did a full install and got flash to work by:

1. downloading the compressed folder from adobe
2. extracting it to my desktop
3. copying and pasting it in the mozzilla plugin folder

very easy, and it worked.

then i tried to create a seperate home partition and broke everything - so i did a fresh install, and created the seperate home partition with the live cd.

so i try to repeat the above process and i get an error. apparantly, i have to be logged in as root to change the permissions of the system folders or to copy and paste things in them. so i log out and try to log bac in as root, but it tells me that i can't log in as root from that screen (without telling me how to do it).

another thing i tried was to use the live cd and mount the two partitions - then i tried to do the copy and paste thing again with the same result: i lack permission and lack the authority to change the permissions.
try http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1081964 ...

LowSky
May 28th, 2009, 07:31 PM
IIRC the one in synaptics is 32bit and runs through nspluginwrapper. To summarize it, it SUCKS on a 64bit system.

are you sure? even in 9.04?

zika
May 28th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I, sadly, think yes. I'm not sure, but I recall that I had to un-install it and install it alternative way.

XCan
May 28th, 2009, 10:51 PM

Unfortunately, yes. :( I had all kinds of random problems with it until I got the 64bit from adobe labs.

pme 72
May 29th, 2009, 01:16 AM
If all else fails head over to the x86 64-bit Users Forum. There are numerous posts on this topic.

Dougie187
May 29th, 2009, 01:20 AM
If all else fails head over to the x86 64-bit Users Forum. There are numerous posts on this topic.

Even a sticky detailing how to do it. It is very easy. The 32-bit one works fine. It's just not as high quality as the native 64-bit one. But the native one isn't hard to install either, you just can't use synaptic. Because it is still in alpha.

Paqman
May 29th, 2009, 01:29 AM
The 32-bit one works fine.

+1

I've never really had any trouble with it, tbh. I did switch to the 64-bit one from Adobe on Intrepid, but i'm just using the one from the repos on Jaunty and it's fine.

w.g.hanna
May 30th, 2009, 04:03 PM
click this link apt://flashplugin-nonfree

worked - and totally idiot proof. at any rate, i paradoxically found the 64 bit version worked slower and i switched back.

WatchingThePain
May 31st, 2009, 11:22 PM
This worked for me.

Plugins were there but not showing in Firefox so..

# chmod -R 755 /usr/lib/mozilla

Did the trick.