PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 monitor refresh rates insufficient (????)

tqprvn
May 28th, 2009, 06:03 AM
ok this one confused me.

Called in the IT guy to update our company to 9.04 after he installed it on my laptop.

He has said that for four of our machines, the LCD monitor refresh rates are insufficient.

I am not sure I know what that means, sure they are a little older (maybe 4-5 years with some of them), but why would they not be 9.04 compatible?

Happy to post screenshots or whatever you need of the monitor settings on some of them if required. You may need to tell me how though!

Anything we can do to get it together otherwise?

Thanks

Matt

Didius Falco
May 28th, 2009, 06:51 AM
ok this one confused me.

Called in the IT guy to update our company to 9.04 after he installed it on my laptop.

He has said that for four of our machines, the LCD monitor refresh rates are insufficient.

I am not sure I know what that means, sure they are a little older (maybe 4-5 years with some of them), but why would they not be 9.04 compatible?

Happy to post screenshots or whatever you need of the monitor settings on some of them if required. You may need to tell me how though!

Anything we can do to get it together otherwise?

Thanks

Matt

Probably the best thing to do to get help is to post the LCD Monitor models and the video cards used. If they differ, it'd be even more help to pair them up so we know that from the start.

Regards,

Didius

Mark Phelps
May 28th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Should get the "IT guy" to explain just what "insufficient" means ...

Most monitors today typically use 60Hz refresh rates, although some use 59, and others can go to 75 and beyond. The higher the rate, the less likely you'll notice screen flicker. But generally, 60 is high enough to be unnoticed.

I wouldn't up the rate without checking the monitor specs first. The rate is tied to the screen resolution.